What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hair

Ferlin

I made a custom brush that gives the effect of beard hair. It only works in one angle as I stroke it. Is there an easy way of changing the direction of the brush without having to make or rotate 5 or so new brushes to make the directional shifts. Are you stuck with that one diresction. I know some hair type brushes like in Marks tutorial are made up of simple dots but this more subtle one made with the wacom tab suits my needs. I hope this isn't a dumb question. Ferlin

Also .. How do you post the shots of the layers your working on to this site?

Ferlin, Use the options in the brush palette to rotate the brush.
Just click & drag on the arrow on the circle.
Click and drag on the dots to narrow the brush.

You can also set options for various settings when using a Wacom, find them under Other Dynamics. Just set the control you are interested in to pen pressure or pen tilt.

I use ScreenSnapz Pro for screenshots, (Mac).
You could try Print Screen on the PC, open it in Photoshop, crop to the part you need and use Save for Web.

Al.

PS. Only dumb question is the one that is never asked. ;)

Thanks Al. I was really in a quandry over this and was stumped. That solves that problem.
I use a mac so I will need certain sortware to post layer shots to this site?
:perfect: [excited]

Ferlin, to have the brush follow the direction of the path, go to other dynamics, then set angle jitter to "direction"

Ferlin, you can also have a look at the "Angle jitter" setting under the shape dynamics of your brush. But that will rotate the brush randomly to an angle seemingly pivoted somewhere near the centre of the brush. The size jitter will also prove useful in providing a random size (within your specification of the % variation).

sPECtre also has a great idea on the path setting as you can give your hair some organisation or structure in how it's aligned - not to mention that you can save the path for later use to reproduce the effect quickly. For beards and shorter types of hair that don't really follow a pattern (as would be the case on a scalp) I think the jitter settings should suffice.

I used the dune grass for Mr. Savalas' first hair treatment - not sure how thrilled he'd be walking around like a chia pet! :rofl:.

I just had to make a new brush from the current dune grass one to get some hair laying in the other direction. Quite thin but it could be the starting point of something. Another bonus to brushing it on like this is that you can add various layers for certain highlights and shadows in the hairline, and various thicknesses.

To answer your question on the screen shots that the other folks are posting, apparently you can use the following for Mac (if you don't use a certain program):

Screen Shots
Function on Mac OS:
Screen capture to clipboard
=Command + Control + Shift + 3
Active window to clipboard:
=Command + Control + Shift + 4 + CapsLock and click
Create a picture of a portion of your screen to clipboard
=Command + Control + Shift + 4
Create a picture of a portion of your screen to disk
=Command + Shift + 4
Create a picture of a specific window to disk
=Command + Shift + 4 + CapsLock and click
Screen shot to disk
=Command + Shift + 3
After reworking the image you can just attach it as a file and it will display with your message.

For folks on Windows a nice utility for this is SnagIt which can be binded to your Windows key for activation which also allows for marquee-type selection.

Thanks guys. I like the idea of using the path for structure. Thanks Specter. Dodo ( I can't use the name Dodo with a straight face.. or
Ferlin for that matter) I did'nt know what angle jitter was used for today. Thanks I'm printing it out. Your Telly Sevalis is great -I like that old hair style parted in the middle. :D Always wondered what he would look like with hair.
You all inspired me to put up samples from the Bad Hair Book that I just got for X-Mas. :D

Thanks for sharing "Furline";). I have to say though, if I had a choice between a book of bad hairstyles and good old underwear/handkerchief/socks, I'd pick the latter. These fellows look too disgruntled - and their hair seem to have taken on lives of their own!

I guess that means you didn't find these inspiring. I've never seen a book on underwear,socks and handkerchiefs. I did hear about a burgular who specialized in stealing dirty womens underwear from suburban homes. Perhaps he was working on a book. :D :D

Don't have a clue Erik but i like the tone of it - Moonshine. Who is Arnold
Layne? Did you know that the author James Ellroy used to break into peoples homes in Beverly Hills. I don't think he would steal things but he would walk around with a sense of power (and other feelings) as he would go thru peoples belongings. He was a young teenager living on his own in L.A. For a long time he could'nt stop himself. He had enough sense to curb himself as times changed and security systems got better. He wrote L.A. Confidential -Black Dahlia among other books. He's very open about what he used to do growing up with a crazy father. His mother was murdered when he was young. Now he's a successful writer who has put a terrible past behind him.

[stuned] }P :perfect:

Say Ferlin, if you use Jaguar or Panther and do a fair bit of screen capture activity, look into the freeware application, FreeSnap...a powerful screen capture tool. Features are...

? Fixed Location Screencaptures: Specify X, Y, Width and Height in preferences, and take multiple captures of the same location repeatedly
? Customizable, global hot keys
? AppleScriptability
? A Menu Extra
? Scaling
? 10 Different Formats
? Background-Only Options

I use the timer function and have all my shots saved in PSD files because PS's save for web creates small file sizes but you can save directly to JPEG in FreeSnap.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/16252

Pink Floyd's hit from the sixties, when the genius Syd Barrett still was their brain and much more. Arnold Layne is a song a bout a man with a strange hobby:

(Tadumdumdumdumdumdum dum dum)

Arnold Layne had a strange hobby
Collecting clothes
Moonshine, washing line
They suit him fine

On the wall hun a tall mirror
Distorted view
See through baby blue
He got it

I though you were referring to that song.
BTW: Pink's early music is refreshing and imo much better than what they did later. I mean the singles, and the first LP's 'till UmmaGumma.
"yup, but that's waaay before my time..."
who cares? I also love medieval music...and the Mahabharata, and...

Ferlin, it should've been obvious - bald people would've been inspiring - the hairless need our help. Take my Don King smiley/emoticon for example... (they smiley needed hair-help, and come to think of it, Don also does - but in a different way)

Back