What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having Trouble Making Text Copyable

TheFairbank

Hello All!

I am currently working on a flyer, and am having trouble making the text copyable when I export it to a PDF. I have tried to use the "make text copyable" option in the export page, but even when I do, it doesn't work. It needs to be able to be copied as readable text to a word doc. I have also tried a number of other formats to no avail. Any suggestions?

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi TheFairbank

If I use the Text tool to create text and "Save As" to a PDF file, I have no problem selecting the text in either Adobe Reader or Adobe Acrobat Pro and pasting it into text editing programs.

If the Text is pixel or raster based text then I cannot select and then paste the text until I convert the raster/graphics text to be readable (OCR). This can be done with Adobe Acrobat Pro (not sure about Adobe Reader).

So you might need to provide more details since you mention doing an "export" (which File > Export does not support PDF files so not sure what you are doing.

I think it would help if you explained the details of your workflow to forum members can help track down the problem. I got it to work just fine for me
John Wheeler

TheFairbank

We need a file type that is able to have copyable text for people who do not have an Adobe reader. It's a combination of JPEGS, PNGs and Text Boxes.

thebestcpu

Guru
Sorry I am now confused. I thought you wanted a PDF file where the text could be copy and pasted to another application or use. PDF is a fine format to combine all the files you mention and Adobe Reader is free and widely available to all people that have a computer. The person who creates the PDF is the only person that needs to make sure the PDF has text that is copyable, not the end user use Adobe Reader.
If that is still your goal, maybe you could share the Photoshop layered file with which you are having difficult so Forum members can help debug your issue. It might just be the way your PS file is being created. You could share the file on a file sharing site. This might be a faster way to solve the problem than you providing your workflow (step by step of creating your document and Saving or Exporting which I previously requested).
So unless you are suggesting you are seeking another file format other than PDF, those are the next steps I recommend, either providing the workflow or the file to help debug you situation. Hope that helps
John Wheeler