What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello! And colour replacement question.

jim0203

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum, and pretty much a complete n00b when it comes to Photoshop. At the moment I'm trying to design a book cover and need a little bit of help, if that's possible.

Essentially, part of the book cover is a layer which holds the logo of the book's publisher. The background of this layer is white, and the logo is a simple design which is all in black. What I want to be able to do is to change the background colour and the colour of the logo to anything I want; so rather than being black on white it would be red on green, blue on yellow, or anything else. Is there a simple way to do this?

Thank you!

--Jim

Depends on the logo itself, but if it simple color line image or font, there are few ways to do it,
the one I like the most is adjustment layer> Solid color and grouped with layer below.

ljiljana said:
Depends on the logo itself, but if it simple color line image or font, there are few ways to do it,
the one I like the most is adjustment layer> Solid color and grouped with layer below.
Hi Ljilana,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've now worked out how to do what I wanted using a gradient map, but I couldn't get your suggestion to work and I'd like to know how I could get it to work: all knowledge will prove useful eventually, I'm sure!

To try and make my question a bit clearer I've attached a small jpeg of the logo. As you can see, it's black on white. I am looking for a simple way of turning the black bit to any colour I want, and also of changing the white bit to any colour I want. What do you reckon is the simplest way to do this?

Thank you!

--Jim

Thanks for the image. To use adjustment layer with solid color fill you would need to have background transparent.
The publishing house should provide you with original logo eps.file.
Still you can do this:
Duplicate layer and turn off the original:
Go to > Select> Color Range and with eyedropper select white, set to 100% and hit Delete.
Add adjustment layer> solid color fill and chose your color for logo design.
Add new layer below and fill with color that you want.
To group adj.layer with previous hit CTRL+G .

When you have solid colors like these, the Magic Wand is also very quick.
Select the Wand, set the tolerance low (1-5) un-tick Contiguous.
Create a new layer and fill the resulting selection with your color of choice.
Repeat for the background.

The easiest way that I have found, if they are on two seperate layers, is to choose the background layer (solid layer), then go to Edit>Fill. Use the color overlay filter for the black logo design. I think this may be what you are looking for.

~Chuck

use the magic wand to select the text, and then you can make it any colour you want on a seperate layer

Rick said:
use the magic wand to select the text, and then you can make it any colour you want on a seperate layer

You're just showing off now :)

Seriously, thank you all so much for all of your help: photoshop is a little less scary for me now!

--Jim

Back