What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hello kids, I can conceive more than I can execute!

My name is Dave and I am from Kansas (yes, I will wait for the snickering to stop!) I have an antique map that uses diagonal lines for shading and I am hoping to find a quicker method than what I know will work.Attached is a sample. I am open for ideas! I am not clever so simple is better. Dave

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    9.5 MB · Views: 12
I forgot to mention the shading, if it could be group identified, would allow me to isolated enclosed spaces. The white area will have to be done individually based on pedestrian traffic flow. Dave

Hoogle

Guru
Are you asking for a different way to shade the map I can not understand the request an easier way to do what????

Yes sir. I need to isolate spaces by type. All of the little backyards will have to be isolated and color coded as well. I know it is ambitous, but I have time and patience I will learn.

Hoogle

Guru
Well hopefully you will not need it in as much detail as I am thinking but if you need something like this
Go to image > adjustment > levels and slightly increase the contras by moving the left slider in to the right.

Then grab the quick selection tool probably the easiest and make a selection of a garden area then create a new layer and with the paintbucket tool fill it with a colour it will only effect the area that you have marching ants on then select the new layers blending mode and change it to colour

Good luck my frien you have many hours ahead of you on this project.
shade.png

Thank You! I have 16 such images to do. I really need any shortcut I can get, as i would not live long enough to do it all the way I had tried ( a small brush). Many thanks to you sir!

Hoogle

Guru
if you are accurate with your hands you may find it easier just to create a new layer set the layer blending mode to colour and just paint over it it may actually work out quicker

Hoogle

Guru
and more accurate in the long run or you can just use the eraser as you can see my selections were not very accurate.

Thanks again for the help. I fear my scans are not very good for the task, but they are what I have for now. For now I have radically shrunk the areas of interest while I find a systemic method for going about this. The image adjustments are promising, and I am trying to find a balance of adjustments that make selections easier. I am half blind (missing the left visual field) and trained as a historian, both work against me just now. When I get an outflow worthy of scrutiny I will repost. Thank You again. I have wanted to undertake this project for some time while I recovered, but I lost computer skills in the stroke also and I am just now getting them back. Your help was awesome! I do not need more detail than your example, but I have an area of a[[roximately one square mile to do.