What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello to you all, nice to meet you ;)

JasonAnscomb

Hello and thanks in advance for any suggestions. I have a request for a Photoshop technique I want to learn (similar to, but not the add noise effect)

I am a book jacket design who works a bit with vector graphics and I want to learn some ways to make the designs look a wee bit more artistic (less cold and exact). The fine cover below is by Jim Tierney and he uses an effect I want to learn how to do myself. Basically it as though someone has taken a hard edged shape and turned it into a graneur shading (a bit like old school air brushing).
I have tried using add noise and that sort of thing, but the result is inferior to whats below.
If anyone knwo the secret, woudl you mind sharing? ;)

sample.jpg

Hey Jason, sorry that your thread slipped by me! Hopefully it's not too late.

This is a very simple effect using a Stipple Brush. Here are some tutorials on the STIPPLE BRUSH.

Here's a quick rundown.......

Background
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 11.04.27 AM.png

On a new layer, I used the Pen Tool set to PATH to make the Lower hills. When you make a selection of the PATH, set the feather to about 1.2
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 11.04.42 AM.png

On a new layer, I used the Pen Tool set to PATH to make the Upper hills, same color as lower so they disappear....momentarily
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 11.04.52 AM.png

Cmd/Cntrl + click the Upper hills layers thumbnail to make a selection, then Opt/Alt + Cmd/Cntrl + click the Lower hills layers thumbnail to add to the selection.
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 11.05.08 AM.png

On a new layer, use the Brush Tool with a Stipple Brush to add in the granular shading.
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 11.05.18 AM.png

When your satisfied, hit Cnd/Cntrl + D to deselct.
Then Cmd/Cntrl + click the Lower hills layers thumbnail to make a selection.
On a new layer, again use the Brush Tool with a Stipple Brush to add in the granular shading.
Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 11.13.58 AM.png

This was somewhat of a rush job for the demo so it's not perfect. But you get the idea. Good luck.

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 11.14.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-24 at 11.15.38 AM.png

Dude!! This is amazing!! This is VERY artistic in my eyes.. You've done an amazing job!

Back