What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help creating graphics

robmanu7

Hi,
I am currently trying to create a magazine spread and wanted to try and create the effect/graphic seen on this website - bestdesignoptions.com/?p=4076 (3rd magazine down, the red lines/banners).
I am not a total beginner on photoshop and would be able to play around editing with tools/filters etc, it is just knowing how to start it!

Hope someone can help :)
Thanks, Rob

It would be more helpful if you posted the image instead of the url.

Is this the one?

5W7FP.jpg

There's three things going on here you'd need to reproduce:

1) The guy would need to be soft-masked to make him look natural when pulled out of his background.
2) The main graphic (that red/black swirly thing) would need to be made. Probably done in Illustrator.
3) The layouts black and red boxes are done in InDesign or Quark. Also need to be aware of layering. (like how words are over guys face pic).

Of course you could do it all in PhotoShop...but that will result in a file of HUGE proportions. Remember that this is 300 dpi and at least 11.5 x 17.5 (to allow for bleed).

This is how I'd do it:
1) In InDesign I'd make a 2-page spread doc and bring this into it for layout purposes (it may look bad, but that's ok, it's just a reference. Layout pic boxes and color them appropriately. Might want to layout your text boxes while your at it too.

2) In PhotoShop, using a softmask pull the dude out of his background and save as ".psd" and then place this file into a pic box in InDesign being sure to run him past edges by an 1/8-1/4" to allow for bleed.

3) In PhotoShop I'd pull the graphic for left page from background by masking or a clipping path and place in pic box in InDesign.

4) Assuming graphic on right is already on white I'd place in full page pic box and send it to the back so everything else shows over top.

So there ya have it...a complete page layout in 4 easy steps! Hehe...ok, there's a lot of steps for each of those steps! What you are asking for is a bit more complex than you might think, if you want it done correctly.

Back