What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Image too Photoshopy!

Kilroy42

I'm trying to do a logo with the earth sorta imploding. I've got cracks and stuff in the earth with light coming out of it. Somewhere I gotta put "IMPLOSION" in the logo. Heres what I've got so far: http://kx7jr.home.attbi.com/Implosiontemp.jpg

The problem is is that IMO, it looks too photoshopy [and by photoshopy I mean you can tell exactly what was used for the effect (in this case I used Eye Candy)] So... I dunno, help me out.

Hi Kilroy, welcome to the community.
Hope you enjoy your stay. [honesty]

For what it is, the general look of your effect isn't so bad really. But...
An effect like that can be quite open-ended. It depends on what you specifically want.

Just to note though... an "implosion" would not have the effect you've created with those streaks. Perhaps an "EXplosion" might, but an IMplosion sucks matter inward. Thus, to be true to the look of the effect, you'd not have/see any fire & brimstone blasting out of the planet.
All you'd probably see (not that this can be tested mind you!) is the earth buckling inward. You might see some cracking/breaking. And depending on how extensive the damage was, you may even catch a glimpse of the molten core and lava flow streams running beneath the surface.

The only 2 types of implosion effects i've ever seen are:
1) an object shrinking in size until there's nothing left, and it disappears.
2) pieces of an object beaking up and falling inward on itself. Usually this would require the object to be somewhat 'hollow' for this to make any sense.

A true IMplosion effect is actually somewhat hard to put across with an image, unless you can be right up ontop of it when it's happening -- like you'd see in a space movie or something. And animation can definately be of help in this case. But understandably that's not always possible.

Welcome aboard Kilroy42! :)

Mark has given you an excellent explanation re the difference between implosion and explosion! :perfect:

I would suggest that you don't rely on the "plug-in" that you initially used (might work under a lot of other different circumstances, but just doesn't cut it here) and that you attempt to create the desired effect with the knowledge that you now have... ;)

Welcome Kilroy , as Mark has said that image would not qualify as an implosion - hard to make a solid object like a planet implode - the object would need to be hollow - keep at it though and keep us posted on your progress :perfect:

If you are going for an explosion, this should help: Burst of Light.
I've got some examples of using this around here somewhere, but I can't seem to find them. Hmm...

Back