What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me remember how to do this

postrm

I did something on photoshop a while ago but I can't remember how I did it. Below is the circle with layer 24 on the photo disabled.
1.png
Now here it is when it is active.
2.png
Problem is, I can't remember how I did that. I think I created a new layer, used the pen tool and filled the whole background in, but then pressed something so that little arrow appeared next to layer 24, and after doing that the gold appears as a circle in the right place.

The little arrow in Layer 24 indicates a clipping mask. It forces the gold color to appear only within the "boundaries" of the layer it is clipped to (layer 14). To set a clipping mask, right-click on the layer (off to the right in an empty area) and select "create clipping mask".

Thanks for that Rich.

On a related note, how would I get the correct position for 83%? I kind of guessed, i wasn't sure if there was an more accurate way of finding that out

I'm not aware of anything built into Photoshop for that, but here's a simple way:
A circle has 360 degrees. 83% of 360 degrees is 299 degrees. Find an image of a circular protractor and paste it into your Photoshop image as a guide to marking the 83% point, corresponding to 299 degrees. (I was a math major in college.)

protractor.jpg

Hello.

Don't know if this will help at all but take a look: https://www.photoshopgurus.com/forum/threads/fading-brush.64230/#post-1533768310

Here's one way to judge degrees.
Set up center guides
Use the Line Tool to create a line from the center upwards
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.53.17 PM.png

Duplicate the line
360 divided by 10 = 36

Select the duplicated line
Hit Cmd/Cntrl + T (Free Transform
Change the reference point location to bottom center (this has to be done first)
Set the angle to 36, Hit OK
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.57.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.57.59 PM.png

Now we are going to step and repeat the last transformation by hitting and holding Shift + Opt/Alt + Cmd/Cntrl + hitting the T key 9 times!
Screen Shot 2018-03-22 at 9.58.13 PM.png

No you have a scale depicting 360 degrees in 10 degree segments.

Back