What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help request- conforming a logo to a circle's edge without distortion

viperxmns

Hello Photoshop Guru forum, I think I need one such guru's help for something- I'm trying to conform a graphic logo image with text (currently using a non-vector) to curve along the edge of a circle without distorting the letters and such. The warp tool is somewhat helpful but too haphazard. In general I use PS more for painting and such, so my experience working with paths is limited.. anyone know what technique makes the most sense in this situation?

To reiterate, this is for a sticker project, so I'm trying to wrap a logo along the edge of a circular sticker. It doesn't occupy too much space, as it's going along the curve with other text. Using Photoshop CS4 on a Mac. Thanks for any assistance you guys can offer.

Thanks, yeah typing actual text along the curve is one thing but the trick here is I'm working with a logo that does have text but also has another shape graphic within. I suppose one method of doing this if need be is to replicate the text part of the logo using actual text (it's one of the Helvetica fonts at least) and manually manipulate the other portion of the graphic.. for now I kinda fudged it with the manual warp but I'm definitely interested to learn any easier ways to do this, lol. Maybe it requires converting the logo into a shape or something.

Haven't seen your logo, but you might want to try this with warping. If possible, break your logo up into sections by making selections of each part you want to separate and put those pieces on layers by themselves (Ctrl/Cmd J when selected). Then it is easier to manipulate each piece. Remember also you have the Liquid filter and possibly Edit/Puppet Warp might help you some. Good luck.
Edit: Also, that's not a bad idea to replicate the text as live text fitted to a curve, then manipulate the other parts otherwise.

Last edited:
Thanks for your suggestions; it could be that I dissect and manipulate it letter by letter; this was part of something for a client, and I actually don't know exactly what font is used at the moment (I fooled myself since some letters look like Helvetica, but anyway..) the annoying thing about doing it this way is I may not be able to re-use it if the scale of the logo to circle would need to change.

Unfortunately since I'm using the ol' CS4 I don't think I have Puppet Warp, but I've done a little looking into how to use Liquify, just have to know what settings I need to alter the image's curve without throwing it askew.

Yeah, I on CC. Didn't think about CS4 not having the same stuff. Unfortunately, I can't come up with an easy way to do this and without seeing the file your working on for sure.

If this was for a client, do you have the original file containing the layers that were used to create the logo. If not, request the file. Then use the text paths or convert the text to paths and use the Pen Tool and or your path selection tools to conform the text (and logo) to your circle.
If you can't get the original file, use Illustrators trace function to to convert the text/logo to a paths. If you don't have Illustrator then your limited to what CS4 has to offer and Larry has pointed out your options there.
Good luck.

Thanks for the further suggestions; I do in fact have Illustrator, and I figured there would probably be some more options to accomplish what I wanted in there, but truth be told I only tend to use AI when I really need to (I'm not too comfortable in it, so it has a way of bugging the crap out of me), so I was wondering if PS had some other method of accomplishing what I wanted. I don't have the originals but do have a traced vector copy on hand.

Sometimes I think that Adobe intentionally does not write functions into Photoshop that are Ai but could be in both, just to protect Ai, such as the new Touch Type tool. Vector capabilities are already there in PS but they keep them minimal. I am a new user of Ai and it took me taking an online course to figure it out (to a point). They do interface quite well and I recommend learning and using both in conjunction with one another to get the most benefit from what your paying for.
Thanks for the further suggestions; I do in fact have Illustrator, and I figured there would probably be some more options to accomplish what I wanted in there, but truth be told I only tend to use AI when I really need to (I'm not too comfortable in it, so it has a way of bugging the crap out of me), so I was wondering if PS had some other method of accomplishing what I wanted. I don't have the originals but do have a traced vector copy on hand.

Back