What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Specific Help with a photo of a house

myles

Hey there,

Would be great if someone could change the colour of the house from grey to white, whilst retaining the wood texture. Also, if the hexagonal window on the right side of the door could be removed and replaced with wooden siding like the rest of the house. It would be great if you guys could make the grass green too, thanks so much for the help.

Attachments

• house.jpg
    house.jpg
    8 MB · Views: 21

polarwoc

Guru
@JazzyScotsman If you do not mind me bugging you, what values did you use for H, S and L? When I try it, there is a patch of bright white towards the bottom left of center on the lawn. Did you use Colourise checkbox? What percentage of transparency did you opt for the layer? Here, I used Overlay blend mode on the grass layer. The markings in Red are the White patches I refer to.Question.jpg

JazzyScotsman

Banned
Okay. Step by step it works like this:
*rolls up his sleeves and pokes his tongue out the corner of his mouth, eyes crossed for affect*

1. Put down your grass image and layer mask it fit the desired area.
2. Used 73% Opacity.
3. Did some light blurring around the mask edges.
4. Added my Hue & Saturation layer to get the lush green affect I wanted.
5. For the house. I simply used a layer mash of white, set to Linear Light. (Used the pen to to outline, for clean lines.)

*dusts off hands, uncrosses eyes and puts his tongue back in house..thank god* :silly:

That's all there is, there ain't no more! :)

polarwoc

Guru
1. Put down your grass image and layer mask it fit the desired area.
You mean you used a different grass image superimposed on top of the arid lawn in the photo? I was trying to use the same image and expecting to transform it into the green colour using Hue/Sat Adjustment.

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I realize this is what was requested and completed very nicely.

But the edited image looks very odd and un-realistic due to the fact that the rest of the image appears to be in the throws of winter, and then there's a lush green lawn. The background is dull and dingy and all the deciduous trees have bare branches. Maybe tone down the green so it doesn't stand out like a sore thumb or spice up the background.

JazzyScotsman

Banned
Just giving the client what they asked for. They wanted a green lawn. Also, I'd added a new blue photo filter to add some brighter blue to the sky. I think, rather than tone down the grass, it my work better to richen up the browns in the trees. That would fix that 'dingy' tinge you were talking about. What do you think? :)

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks for the input!
Not a problem.

I understand that you were just giving the OP what they asked for. I mention that above in post #8. I was making my suggestion more to the OP and not directly at you.....just so you know. I still think that the requested edit for that particular image still appears fake, despite the great job you have done!

JazzyScotsman

Banned
Not a problem.

I understand that you were just giving the OP what they asked for. I mention that above in post #8. I was making my suggestion more to the OP and not directly at you.....just so you know. I still think that the requested edit for that particular image still appears fake, despite the great job you have done!
To quote the classics:

"I take your words as helpful hints,
And not as cruel slam.
I thank you for your useful words.
I thank you, IAMSAM!"

myles

Thanks very much for the edit, it looks brilliant. I'm aware it looks fake due to the environment, though I'm not concerned about realism too much. I pondered providing an image from the summertime, yet I've done some things to the house since then, so I wanted it to look as up to date as possible. Thanks very much for your time and effort, my mum was delighted when she saw the result (she's been thinking of painting the house white for 4 years now!). Thanks again mate.