What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with "distressed" layer for my logo...

Boogey

Hi guys...and thanks in advance! I want to do T shirts for our bake shop and I am self taught on PS...so I really just hack away at stuff. I was able to design our logo so far but I want to add a "distressed" look to it for our t-shirts and it's beyond me. Can any of you Gurus help me out? If need be I can send you a link with the PS file w/ the layers. I'd like to be able to play around with diff levels of "distress" see which one I like. Again...I really appreciate the help! stickeyshirtsm.jpg

Find a few different textures...water drops, fibers, pasta.....drop a layer over your image...then play with the blending modes, and opacity until you see something towards distress....this was done with a water drop layer, set to darken, 45% opacity

stickeyshirtsmm.jpg

Same idea really. Just find a texture that has the look you want. Ripped paper, bark, old wooden fence, rusty metal. Look up grunge textures on google or deviantart.com and find something you like. There are a lot of free texture downloads. Then experiment with different blend modes and opacities as Mike said. Do you have the circle on its own layer? If so you can choose the texture or multiple textures you like, paste them in above the circle, hold alt/opt and click between the circle layer and each one above that you want to try out. This will clip them so that the pixels will be restricted to the layer below, the circle. Set your blend mode, then you can move the texture layers around for better position. Try using brushes to enhance this if you want. Lots of interesting brushes to download.

Here's something I cooked up. Not exactly like your example, but remember, the picture you are using is in no way a simple symbol.

Baking.jpg

I used more than one texture, vivid light and hard light modes. I added masks to each of these layers and painted out portions of the image I wanted to emphasize and sow more clearly. If you have problems along the way, let us know. It takes some experience and knowledge not to be beating your head against the wall while doing this. Just try to have fun. Try different textures. They may not translate as you would expect.

Hey Boogey,

I opened the logo in Ps and removed the white BG using magic eraser tool. I then distressed the image using a variety of crack brushes and the ERASER tool in order to allow the BG of the shirt to show through.

I selected a suitable T-shirt and used the move tool to move the logo into the t-shirt document. I then added a Bevel & Emboss layer style.

StickyFingers_02 copy.jpg

On Gray.....

StickyFingers_gray02.jpg

Last edited:

Back