What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with extracting an image

greenie224

Mod Edit: OP restarted statement in post #2

Sorry for the confusion Sam. Although ... there is no attachment ... You'll need to re-upload greenie.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all, so I'm not entirely foreign to Photoshop - I've worked with it for a few years now, but I'm having some trouble figuring out how to go about extracting a particular set of images from a background.
View attachment 25665
So here's the situation: Massachusetts, the red, and the mountains are all one image I drew on Illustrator. The problem is that because I used a brush like tool, it's going to be really hard to select just the state and what's inside it. I moved MA onto PS and used a tutorial to create the text and background. It's going to be used as a logo to put on posters, signs, T-shirts, and what not so it needs to be placed on a transparent background. I just can't for the life of me figure out an easy way of going about this. Any thoughts?

greenie said:
Hello all,o I'm not entirely foreign to Photoshop, I
It's kinda like a power outage during a really good TV show........doh!
Your just left hangin'!

Yeah I have no Idea what happened. I hit enter a couple times to skip some lines, but it ended up posting what I had.

Here's the image: 22.jpg

No problem greenie!

I opened the image into Ps and duped it.
I went to channels and chose the green layer (ironic given your name) an duped it.
Still in the channels panel and using the green copy only, I then used levels to lighten the background.
I inverted the image (command + I) and used another levels adjustment and darkened the background.
Using the inverting technique I did this several times until everything else but the brushed state outline was gone.
You should end up on a white BG with a black state outline.
I then made a selection of the channels green copy thumbnail (command + click), went back to the layers panel, highlighted the dupe and hit command + J which sent only the brushed state outline and the red area to it's own layer with a transparent background.
I then saved this copy as a PNG. Done. Hope that helped.

22.png
Sorry, I forgot to add that when you go back to the layers panel, the selection will carry over and you can do whatever you need to do. The channel procedure technique is just a way to refine a difficult selection.
I also removed the the Berkshore County. (even though it appears I missed a little section)

Last edited:
No problem greenie!

I opened the image into Ps and duped it.
I went to channels and chose the green layer (ironic given your name) an duped it.
Still in the channels panel and using the green copy only, I then used levels to lighten the background.
I inverted the image (command + I) and used another levels adjustment and darkened the background.
Using the inverting technique I did this several times until everything else but the brushed state outline was gone.
You should end up on a white BG with a black state outline.
I then made a selection of the channels green copy thumbnail (command + click), went back to the layers panel, highlighted the dupe and hit command + J which sent only the brushed state outline and the red area to it's own layer with a transparent background.
I then saved this copy as a PNG. Done. Hope that helped.

View attachment 25683
Sorry, I forgot to add that when you go back to the layers panel, the selection will carry over and you can do whatever you need to do. The channel procedure technique is just a way to refine a difficult selection.
I also removed the the Berkshore County. (even though it appears I missed a little section)

Wow, I'm attempting to understand this, but am having some trouble. Thanks so much for the help so far, but I neglected to mention that I wanted the paper background with the leaves inside the state; so in other words, everything stays inside and the sate is cut out and placed on a transparent background. I'm really sorry that your work was slightly in vain. Although, maybe your explanation on your procedure explains how I can do this and I'm just too incompetent to understand. Thanks so much for the work you've done so far.

I misunderstood when you said you were not entirely foreign to Photoshop. My bad. I thought you would understand the explanation. It's a fairly advanced technique. No problems though! Here ya go!

22.1.png
This is a png so it has a transparent BG (outside the state) even though it appears white. Sorry for the confusion.

greenie,

Here's a bonus. I made a video for you showing how I used the original png (after I erased the remaining text) I made and a white template cutout to make any number of backgrounds or text you could possibly want for this image. I will add all to this post. Just download these two png's to use for the tut.

22.png

I changed it to black because you could not see the white one! Pretend it's the white one! LOL!
22.2.png

Wow, I'm just amazed at the effort you put into helping me. What a great community, I did not expect help like this thanks so much, you're a life saver!

Back