What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with making a cutoff line?

OperatorFatty

So i have a small question that is kind of hard to word but is there a way to make the numbers cut off inside the number plate i will try and show examples
Capture11.PNG
I want it to look like this 514 number plate
But i dont know how to cut it off at the white or black area and it looks like this
Capture23.PNG
So basically i want the number so when i drag it, like it will cutoff at the black area on the green number plate if that makes any sense.
So like the more i drag it the numbers will start to disappear once it gets on the edge of the black area inside
Also the black area on the number plate for the green bike already is a layer so is there any way to quick select that without using the lasso tool if need be

thebestcpu

Guru
It is hard to follow your description and it probably would help if you shared screen shots of your PS Layer Stack.
In the upper image, the black surrounding lines overlay on top of the 514 number. This is done by the black surrounding lines being the Layer above the Black Numbers

Likewise, If you want the green outline in the lower image to cover the 912 numbering, the green outline needs to be the top Layer.

As I said, I may not understand you issue so when words fail to give a description, include images e.g. screen shots and//or your PSD file with Layers
Just a recommendation
John Wheeler

OperatorFatty

It is hard to follow your description and it probably would help if you shared screen shots of your PS Layer Stack.
In the upper image, the black surrounding lines overlay on top of the 514 number. This is done by the black surrounding lines being the Layer above the Black Numbers

Likewise, If you want the green outline in the lower image to cover the 912 numbering, the green outline needs to be the top Layer.

As I said, I may not understand you issue so when words fail to give a description, include images e.g. screen shots and//or your PSD file with Layers
Just a recommendation
John Wheeler
Sorry I am not at my pc right now but basically I want to make it so when I drag the numbers around on the black area on the green outline that the numbers won’t go onto the green area
If you look at the 514 number you will see the white area cutoffs the number before it touches the black and blue area around the white
So basically I want it so if I stretch the numbers on the green number plate they won’t go beyond the black area and instead will almost disappear if that makes any sense
I will try to get on later and give picture examples

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
This is about layer order.....

Black BG on bottom.
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 12.15.35 PM.png

Numbers layer on top of BG layer.
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 12.15.45 PM.png

Green thingy layer on top of letters and BG layers.
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 12.15.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 12.15.14 PM.png

OperatorFatty

Sorry I am not at my pc right now but basically I want to make it so when I drag the numbers around on the black area on the green outline that the numbers won’t go onto the green area
If you look at the 514 number you will see the white area cutoffs the number before it touches the black and blue area around the white
So basically I want it so if I stretch the numbers on the green number plate they won’t go beyond the black area and instead will almost disappear if that makes any sense
I will try to get on later and give picture examples
I want the white numbers on this one to not go past the black area so imagine the red line is where the numbers inside the black area will cutoff and not go past it so like if i stretch it the numbers will dissapear kind of like the picture next to it
Capture31.PNGexample3.PNG
Here is a screenshot of the layers that make up the black area in the picture with the red line
Capture32.PNG
The bottom red square is the layers that make up the black area inside the green area
the top red square is the white number

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
But if your layer structure is more like this.....
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 12.26.48 PM.png

Then just clip the numbers layer to the black thingy layer.
Right click and choose "Create Clipping Mask"
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 12.26.14 PM.png

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
so like if i stretch it the numbers will dissapear kind of like the picture next to it
If I'm stretching the numbers to a specific shape in a layer.
Same thing, just clip the numbers to the shape layer (green Thingy).
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 12.32.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 12.32.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-07-24 at 12.40.27 PM.png