What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with overexposed photo + Sample

ackanr

Hello everyone!
So I had a client requested to edit an overexposed photo, I did my best but unfortunately he didn't like my work. After couple of days he sent me a sample done by someone else and I was really amazed by level of skill! I uploaded original with edited version and want to ask if someone can explain to me which methods have been used in this edit?

Overexposed.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @ackanr
It would help to have the original starting image instead of the JPEG combined with the final of another post processor. If you were provided a higher resolution image and especially if you had the raw file from the camera, the techniques might be quite different that if you had an 8 bit JPEG of the quality you posted. Just a suggestion
John Wheeler

ackanr

Hi @ackanr
It would help to have the original starting image instead of the JPEG combined with the final of another post processor. If you were provided a higher resolution image and especially if you had the raw file from the camera, the techniques might be quite different that if you had an 8 bit JPEG of the quality you posted. Just a suggestion
John Wheeler

Hi John
Thanks for your reply, sure I can provide original raw. I would appreciate if you take a look... 👇

Argos

Guru
It would be helpful to see what work you did, to have an idea of what you do you need help with. I made a fast check and the quality the other guy gets is on the raw, but he did a good job on the coloring and the details.

thebestcpu

Guru
HI @ackanr
I agree with @Argos to see what you have done.
Looking at the raw file, there is detail that can be recovered. That was my key concern. Just by using the Brush tool and reducing exposure on the subject and left pole, some overall treatments in ACR for tone and color temperature, and slight adjustments in color mixer, it became clear that good recovery could be achieved.
I have shown below the original image in ACR and then with the mentioned adjustments. That got things in the ballpark.
If you show you workflow and results, better guidance by forum members could be provided.
John Wheeler

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 11.19.05 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 11.19.18 AM.jpg

ackanr

Hi John
Thank you so much for your time and clear explanation. I tried before manipulate in camera raw but the result was horrible! I completely forgot use brush, that was the key...many thanks
Unfortunately I deleted my own edit after he rejected...sorry...but start again with this technique and let you know when it's finished