What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with selcting a line from the pen tool

james28909

help with selecting a line from the pen tool

i am trying to follow this guide but i get stuck on step 2 of course,

i cannot post links yet , but you can easily google it "psdlearning+luminescent lines" and it should come right up for you

when i press cntrl + click on the layer that contains the wavy line, in the layers panel it does not select any line i cannot see any selection lines around the wavy line and when i try to go to edit-->> define brush presets to make the brush or whatever, its just a black box. ive tried this over and over with no success and its gonna make me smash my face through my 23 inch 1080p monitor :cry: :banghead:

so just to refresh, i do as it says in the tutorial exactly and it doesnt not make a selection line around the wavy line, it says "no options for direct selection tool"

i can get it to do it, if i make a shape and join the line (path) ends together then it does it, but as you can see the lines in the tutorial do not join back together anywhere.

i hope i made myself clear enuff to understand, lol

thanks for taking your time to read this and help me out, it is much appreciated.
if you need screenshots just let me know

i have managed to do some really cool things, but i dont have enough of a post count to link anything :rolleyes:

p.s. i have tried resetting the photoshop preferences like 5 million times also.

Last edited:
here is one thing i did manager to accomplish, i was just messing around, i use no0bzilla as my gaming name for the ps3.

i am trying to make an awesome luminescent lines picture for my ps3 background

i was gonna use this

noobsunburst.jpg

but i really didnt want to. id rather make a luminescent lines or a neon smoke vapors or neon clouds or something bright and flashy, that catches the eye

now that the post count is above 4, i can post the link now. luminescent lines i get stuck at the beginning of step 2. -.-

Last edited:
I'm under the impression the writer is using a tablet?..... "now start slightly outwith the canvas on the left then using about four points draw a curve"....... "then select stroke path, make sure simulate pressure is checked then".....

And he's not asking to complete an entire path.....

Are you on a tablet?

OK.... disregard what I just said..... lol....

The reason and answer it seems was in your first post..... "when i press cntrl + click on the layer that contains the wavy line,"

Did you click the layer icon? You have to CTRL+click layer icon to select the pixels in the layer......

And if you check that tute again.... there seems to be an error in the tute... check the last post.....

That threw me off... I thought he was on a tablet.....

Last edited:
omg man, you are the biggest help ever.

i tried everything under the sun, including sacrificing a chicken, which didnt work either, but anyways you are leet man.

but not to worry, i will be back with more questions, much much more :lol:

thanks again man :yourock:

Back