What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with skin coloring in snow

late_show

I'm a newbie with PhotoShop but learning quickly. I was hoping someone could help me figure out how to color our skin so it looks like we're really in snow, rather than in yellow light. I'm really looking for tips, rather than someone to just do it for me. Any other suggestions you have to make this photo better would be much appreciated. Thank you SO much!

Attachments

• us standing snowy trees.jpg
    us standing snowy trees.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
I moved your thread to the General board section since you do not request the job to be done but asking for help how to...

Add a hue/saturation layer and select only the 'reds'
Untitled-1.jpg

Pull the red slider to the left (-) until about -50 (depending on what you want it can be different)
Untitled-2.jpg

Last edited:
One other suggestion... the snowy background is in soft focus (very normal for this type of portrait) but the edges of the family members are extremely sharp—particularly noticeable around the hair—which, to me, makes them seem artificially pasted-in. In the image below I blurred the edges a bit.

us standing snowy trees.jpg

Excellent! Thanks! This is exactly what I need to get better! Thanks so much for your help!!!

I moved your thread to the General board section since you do not request the job to be done but asking for help how to...

Add a hue/saturation layer and select only the 'reds'
View attachment 81985

Pull the red slider to the left (-) until about -50 (depending on what you want it can be different)
View attachment 81986
Thanks! I read the guidelines but misunderstood. This is an awesome site! Thanks again!

Hard one and more if you are starting photoshop! Is not only a problem of color, its light. contrast, tone and many more, even the cloths posture affect the realism in a way. It's just too many things to consider.....

Of course i couldn't ressist to play with it an test to at least make it look like they are outside even i learn how changing the colors and lights it kinda looks like sunlight XD.

I spent too much time looking at the picture so i'm not even sure it make it better or worse hahaha... and i know you want tips or tutorials but i made just too many tests (+100layers) i didn't even know what i did XD.

Bytheway my selections are crap i just didn't care for the testing.

FFus standing snowy treesfFFg3.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have a question.. Was this "in camera," or is this actually a composite? I'm guessing from the hair edges that this is a composite. From experience, for something like this, it is better to have backgrounds that are not too blurry such as this one. You want your elements to be as close to each other as possible (in my opinion), in terms of color, exposure, etc. When it comes to corrections, it's less work in the long run...

Back