What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with smoothing background please

elacacciola

I took some pictures of my son in a small and not very well lit ( didnt realize at the time) home studio that I put together. I have CS4, am fairly new to it and would like to know how to smooth the background out ( there are some wrinkles and seems) and also to take out shadows. I have a feeling this will not be easy, but I have a shot that I think is great and would love to make it work.

I can post pic if needed for specific instruction.

Thanks!!

Panico

Hi, can you post a picture? Don't show his face (pictures of kids shouldn't be uploaded to public places, anyway...that's how I as a parent look at it), just the areas that need to be fixed, crop if you have to (make a copy of your photo first, I don't want to feel responsible for any damage).

Panico

Several ways to do this, let me fiddle with it for 10 minutes or so to find a technique that works best for you, meaning

- easy to understand
- descent results

Be right back

Panico

Don't you worry, the solution is not all that difficult once you know the steps:

- make a duplicate of this layer (drag layer to "new layer" icon in layers palette)
- make this new layer the active layer
- make a selection (the hard part)
- when done, click the mask button in the layers palette (will create a mask based on the selection)
- go to filter/blur/lens blur...
- select for "source" --> "layer mask"
- check the box "invert"
- slide "Radius slider" to get proper blur (fiddle with other settings if you have to)
- click OK

The hard part is making the selection. The easiest way (although not the best) for you would be using the "quick selection tool". Hold the "alt" key (option key on the Mac) to remove parts from the current selection.

Panico

Little photography tip; use a large piece of styrofoam (or any object with a white surface) to lighten up the shadows, they are too strong and distracting. Professionals often use special embrellas for this.

elacacciola

Thank you so much!! I will try all this in the evening.

Yes I still have alot I need to get for the photography itself. Lighting and something to bounce it off of.

Thanks again!!

Panico

Of course you can always create your own background with something like a white to light gray gradient or use a different photo, the choice is all up to you. ;)

Panico

I used the techniques you gave me in the order provided and nothing happened. I dont have a clue as to what I did wrong. Any idea

I went through all the steps as if I didn't write them myself and they seem to be all fine, but I did notice one issue:

after the step...

- when done, click the mask button in the layers palette (will create a mask based on the selection)

...make sure you click on the thumbnail of the image (in your layers palette) that the mask is attached to (to make it active), otherwise lensblur will try to blur your mask instead.

Panico

Trying to remove stylus pen marks from photo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sorry i am a first time user and do not know how to help with your particular situation, but hopefully you may be able to help me with mine my friend.

Hi everyone. I have a personal picture of my cheating wife with her lover taking a photo in a hotel room(no nudity). it was sent to me by someone that wants to prove to me that she is being untrue. the picture was sent to me via a PALM cellphone. the sender however used a stlyus pen and made post photo editing to the picture, covering the face of the male with several black marks. can these marks be removed? anyone who can help please reply or email me madmattbody @yahoo.com and i can send u the picture for fixing, as i do not know what to do. i would like to use this photo as proof of her infidelity in

Any jerk spamming a forum like this 16 times with the same message deserves to be cheated on.