What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi from Mi, ? about common practice

annalee

I do simple Photoshop corrections for a local business. Cut their product out of the .jpg file then place it in the template I created for them. Sometimes the lighting is off which I correct as well.
The arrangement is I return a corrected .jpg file for a fee per picture. I do not believe I charge what a "professional" would charge, but less.
One of the partners now wants the .psd file as well. I refused explaining I don't "sell" my creative process, that the files are much larger and if I did he would be paying much more.
I believe he wants them for the reason he gave, that the products are of different sizes but the space on their web page is constant. They want to be able to reduce the size of the product in the template or move it back into the background.
I asked for the dimensions of the web page photo space, but no response.
I think the additional reason they want the .psd is so an employee there who is able to use Photoshop would then see how I do the work and then I wouldn't be needed.

Question is it normal to sell/provide the .psd? If so would the charge be much more?
Thanks in advance-

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
It's normal to provide the PSD, if the client is paying you for it. The cost would depend on the complexity of the masking job and background removal, and the adjustments to the lighting as needed.

I would suggest providing the PSD's to the client if they are asking for them, and simply adjusting your price to a point you think is right for them.

If they use an in-house person to do additional manipulation it may just be because it is faster or more efficient for them to do so for simple tasks.

annalee

Why thank you much! They will be quite happy to hear that I've considered it and will now provide the .psd file for a fee.

iDad

Guru
be sure to say.."you scratch my back,I'll scratch yours".;)

annalee

Yes that is the case. I'm benefiting from their business often at no charge.
There are more projects for me to do too. I really wanted to either stick to my answer because it was right or have found out differently via another source like this forum! It just took a while to find you all.

annalee

I've been discussing the fee part of my question with one of you and it was encouraged that I share it with the forum as well.
I charge $10-$15 for most of my work per picture. There are some .jpg(s) that the customer knows will take a while and wants them to be a very good job at which point he will pay up to $25.
I thinking to provide the .psd file for an additional $5 would be fair (for the ones they want/request) unless it's something they require regardless. I am not sure what is charged by others for this type of work. On the average a .jpg will take one hour to do. The customer wanted me to do them in a half hour each but I'm a detail nut and tend to address the small things too.
what do you think?

admin

Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Maybe you can simplify the process to save yourself time and still satisfy the client. If they are asking for the PSD's maybe they don't need the backgrounds and that could save you some time. If they want it done in half the time, maybe you can do it with some additional tools (maybe Fluid Mask for example).

The price seems ok for what you are doing, just try to find a way to make it worth your time and affordable for the client and you will build a good partnership :)

annalee

Thank you your responses have been really helpful. This client wants one specific background and only that background for every picture. It seems that I'm charging a fair amount and now it's a question of what to charge for the .psd file. The time comment was me talking out loud to some extent, sorry. I work from home and am not beholding to a clock other than trying to work fast and well. It isn't sensible to work 1-2 hours for $15.00.

Last edited: