What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History Brush question

Rupert

Is there somewhere a list of Adjustments/Modes that the History Brush DOESN'T work with?
Perhaps I should re-phrase that.
I can get the History Brush to work with say Blur but I can't get it to work with Blending modes or a various adjustment layers. Maybe I'm doing something wrong (quite likely). Any advice?

Last edited:
i tried the history brush for the first time, its an awesome tool. On topic, i seem to have no problem with layer modes or anything. Make sure the layer you want to work on is selected, it sometimes happens with me i start erasing something and i doesnt work and then i realise that the correct layer isnt selected in the layers pallet.

OK. Here's the scenario.
Open an image
Duplicate Background layer
Change Blending mode of duplicated layer to Multiply
Select History Brush
Open History Panel and set the source for the History Brush to Duplicate Layer.
With History Brush paint over the area I don't want to be affected by the Blending mode
Nothing changes
Try changing source for the History Brush to other history states
Try painting again
Nothing changes.

So I guess the History Brush doesn't work with Blend modes.

Here's another scenario
Open an image
Add 'Black & White' Adjustment layer
Open History Panel and set the source for the History Brush to Duplicate Layer.
With History Brush attempt to paint over the area I don't want to be affected by the 'Black & White' Adjustment layer
Receive error stating 'Could not use the History Brush because the history state does not contain a corresponding layer'
Try changing source for the History Brush to other history states
Try painting again
Same result!

So the History brush doesn't work with adjustment layers either.

Either I'm going wrong somewhere (likely) or the History brush is very limited.

ok see i have only used the history brush once and tried out what you just wrote above, the thing is the history brush recreates certain aspects of a picture. you can change how the recreation appears by changing the mode of the brush and not the layer.

for example what you did was take a picture and duplicate it and change the mode of the duplicated layer to multiply, then when you used the history brush to remove the effect the history brush worked fine but the layer blend mode came into effect thus you didnt see any change.

do the following

take the image
duplicate it
change the mode of duplicated layer to whatever you like...to keep it simple say multiply
now create a new empty layer
select the history brush and paint over the areas where you want the original picture back
and it should work

so you are right about history brush not working on adjustment layers but also wrong because it works but we are unable to see the affect because of the adjustment...its like a continous loop.

hope this clears it up.

It does indeed! It's just the new blank layer that fixes it and with that it works on both on Adjustment layers and Blend modes.
I viewed a few videos on this and not one mentioned anything about adding a new blank layer but it seemed to work for them, hence my query.
However, following your help it now works for me.
Thank you.

Rupert...

I don't think the history brush will work on an adjustment layer coz that's what it is... an effect layer.

Abdul's procedure is a good work around... but you might encounter problems with that in the course of creating so many layers or accumulating so much in your history info.

There's another work around to achieve what I think you are trying to get, Rather than use the history brush on the adjustment layer , use the paintbrush.

Remember... white hides and black reveals....

When you apply an adjustment layer, toggle switch the layer to affect only the layer directly beneath it and not the others.

adj1.jpg

Click on the adjustment layer's LAYER MASK ICON to make it active. Paint black on the part you want to reveal the color affected by the adjustment layer.

adj2.jpg

Use white to paint back the mask to hide the colors on the layer beneath.....

Hope this helps one way or another....

Thanks dv8_fx. I know what you mean but...
Open an image
Add and apply Adjustment layer
Add blank layer
Use the History
Voila! It works.

I don't know if it works with numerous adjustment layers and suchlike but if not then all you'd need to do would be:
Select all
Copy merged
Paste
Apply adjustment layer
Add blank layer
Use history brush

i am a bit confused by your choice of using history brush rather than layer masks. i read in a tut that history feature uses ram 10 times the size of your document, so if your file size is around 5 MB it would use 50MB ram. ofcourse for systems with loads of ram it shouldnt be a problem.

secondly using layers masks (like dv8fx sugested) is easier than using history

open an image
duplicate image
apply whatever filter or effect you want
apply layer mask
use brush tool (black colour) to remove the effect and bring out the layer UNDERNEATH.

good thing about layer mask is that you can keep perfecting it, by hiding the effect using black brush and reapplying it using a white brush.

@dv8_fx i was going to suggest him using layer masks but you beat me to it. :D

Actually there are some instances that I've used the history brush on the adjustment layer. But I've noticed it only happens when I have a lot in my history.

You have to set the brush to difference mode....

Back