What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horizontal amd Vertical scale in Displace filter...

samifox

Hi

I've read Adove documentions about Horizontal amd Vertical scale in Displace filter but i got confused [confused] .

when their both are 100% the effect of the displacment map is 128 max, but what if one of them is under 100?

of my experments i see that the scale effect the undefined areas and not the effect amount, dows anybodt make an order in my brain please?

Thannks

Shay

Somebody say, Displace? [slick]

Channels

Math 2

Quickie:

50% = max 64 pixels
100% = max 128 pixels
200% = max 256 pixels
400% = max 512 pixels

Starting to see a pattern yet?
And this isn't taking into account the brightness values in the D-Map, hence all are "max"imum.

Stroker is onto something! :D

For a very long, but very complete tutorial on the Displacer filter, lookie here

Naaa, Stroker's the Man for Displace info. [excited]

Samifox be sure to checkout Stroker's tutorials on this filter. It'll open your eyes and mind to it more. :perfect:

Steve and I definitely have our different approaches to Displace. On the surface, his uses are more for real life applications (he's a photographer and does that kind of work). Me, I'm a goofball and write about what interests me.

Beneath the surface, we have *very* different approaches on a fundamental level. Read these two pages and see if you can see the difference:
Displace Filter, Introductory Examples
Circle Grads
The difference between those two pages was a major break through for me. Once I got away from the "push" idea, my head exploded with all sorts of goodness. It was an epiphany of grand scale.

There is also a difference in how we work. Steve works on seperate channels, while I do a lot of work on the composite. This is reflected very well in some of my techniques.

I don't know if mine is better over-all, but I do pride myself on two points:
1) Over a dozen pages explaining the fundamentals and how it all fits together.
2) "Advanced" techniques with Ad-Layers and Layer Mask.

The ironic thing is: it took Steve's Curve tutorial to push me in the right direction. Once I added Curves, my head exploded again - another epiphany of grand scale.

OT: Last week I added Heat Waves.

Back