What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horror Movie Poster Remake

TechP

[FONT=&amp]I am trying to copy this poster[/FONT]
www.photoshopgurus.com.jpg

[FONT=&amp]strictly for learning. I do not plan to use it in any way whatsoever.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]T[/FONT]h[FONT=&amp]e graveyard image used is this one here at:

StAnnesCemetery_01.jpg
[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My major problem is with how to obtain the misty, dark bluish sky and generally the background. Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]My comical attempt :

buffy_01.jpg

[/FONT]

Hello and welcome to PSG.

Just to let you know I have uploaded the images to your thread and found a much better reference to the Cemetery.

Speaking of which, I see that you did not use the same Cemetery image in your re-make.

In the original, it appears that the BG is a combination of two different images, the cemetery and the clouds.

Let me put together some demos for you. Give me a while.

The first thing I did was to combine the original movie poster with the image of the cemetery.

I placed the OMP on top of the Cemetery image.
I lowered its opacity so that I could view the underlying structure.
I used Cmd/Cntrl + T to enter free transform. I used this to adjust the OMP image so that it matched the cemetery.
I also used the Move Tool to move the OMP into place.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 9.14.36 AM.png

Once I matched everything, I used the Crop Tool to crop the cemetery image to match the OMP.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 9.16.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 9.16.34 AM.png

Cropped with the OMP layer turned off.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 9.16.50 AM.png

Now, we're ready to match the colors, darkness, and effect of the OMP.

For the next part, I will use a simple technique, but there are so many different ways to do this and some may be much better, but much harder to explain and understand.

Next I added a Color Fill adjustment layer. You can use a regular layer filled with color if you like. I prefer the Color Fill Adjustment layer for the ease of adjust-ability and it's accompanying layer mask.
As for the color, it's not exact and I just took an educated guess. It's close enough for this demo.

Here is the Color Fill adjustment layer on a layer above the newly cropped cemetery layer.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 10.16.43 AM.png

On the CFAL, I scrolled through the Blending modes and settled on Linear Burn.
I also lowered the opacity to 88%.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 10.17.01 AM.png

I then added a Curves adjustment layer. Again, I prefer adjustment layers sinc they are non-destructive and adjustable with a layer mask.
I wanted to darken the image and then use the mask to reveal the lighter underlying layer.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 10.17.16 AM.png

I used the Brush Tool set to black with a big soft brush on the layer mask.
I lowered the brushes settings and worked slowly.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 10.17.30 AM.png

Here is the layers panel to this point...
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 10.31.10 AM.png

Next, we need to add in the clouds.

Your welcome.

I got a bit sidetracked, but I will hopefully finish this here in a little while.

Just one small query, on top of everything else, you've done a wonderful job on the layer mask, you use a rounded brush tool and vary the opacity?

Just one small query, on top of everything else, you've done a wonderful job on the layer mask, you use a rounded brush tool and vary the opacity?
No, I usually lower the flow. But if that's not enough, I will then lower the opacity.

Here's what I was using. (Also I need to mention that I'm using a tablet)
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 11.08.59 AM.png

OK, on to the next step.

I find myself an adequate cloud image and I open it into my document.
If I know I'm going to be resizing a layer/image (clouds) I will usually convert that layer to a smart object.

I place the cloud layer at the top and use the Move Tool and free transform to position and adjust the layer.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 11.17.07 AM.png

I will then scroll through the layers blending modes to see what looks best.
I chose 'multiply' for this one.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 11.31.43 AM.png

Next, I add a layer mask to the cloud layer and then get out the Brush Tool and start blending.
Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 11.31.55 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 11.36.55 AM.png

This is a good stating point to complete the rest of the effect.............which could get a bit involved! LOL!!

Thank you! I think the light beam can be made by using curves on a pen tool selection and subsequently filtering it. :)

You've been very helpful!

Thank you! I think the light beam can be made by using curves on a pen tool selection and subsequently filtering it. :)

You've been very helpful!
Yeah, something similar to what Aaron uses in this TUTORIAL.

Back