What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horse Manip

Natalie Ryan

I'm only a year into this whole "photoshopping" thing. Technically, I rarely use the Photoshop app, but rather Medibang Paint Pro. I almost exclusively do horses, and have yet to expand my horizons. XD Any way, I'd love some helpful critiques on my latest piece I've done! Thank you all in advance!

pre_made_auction_piece_by_natalieryan_deiw26b-pre.jpg

Thanks for sharing @Natalie Ryan
Note that I am not the best art critic yet will share my observations.
My first reaction overall was "I like it." Lighting and composition seemed to fit quite well.
One item that I thought was a distraction was the ocean rock behind the horses head.

On a technical basis it is really hard to judge both because the JPEG compression is extremely high (24X) and there is no attached color space.
I am not one to purchase such an image if you plan on selling the images yet for my tastes, the shadows are a bit dark. That is very hard to judge as all monitors are different.
Also, if you created this image in anything other that sRGB, a browser will assume it is sRGB. That can change the expected color and most may not realize that it changes the tone response curve as well. So if you created and saved the image in another color space other than sRGB, the viewer may see it differently than you expected.

Nice work and thanks again for sharing.
John Wheeler

Thanks for sharing @Natalie Ryan
Note that I am not the best art critic yet will share my observations.
My first reaction overall was "I like it." Lighting and composition seemed to fit quite well.
One item that I thought was a distraction was the ocean rock behind the horses head.

On a technical basis it is really hard to judge both because the JPEG compression is extremely high (24X) and there is no attached color space.
I am not one to purchase such an image if you plan on selling the images yet for my tastes, the shadows are a bit dark. That is very hard to judge as all monitors are different.
Also, if you created this image in anything other that sRGB, a browser will assume it is sRGB. That can change the expected color and most may not realize that it changes the tone response curve as well. So if you created and saved the image in another color space other than sRGB, the viewer may see it differently than you expected.

Nice work and thanks again for sharing.
John Wheeler

Thank you! Sorry about the compression, I definitely hadn't noticed that this sight had done that! This is a better look of it: https://www.deviantart.com/natalieryan/art/Pre-made-Auction-Piece-878255363

And I'm horribly sorry, but I'm not familiar with "color space", "sRGB" or "response curves".

Hi @Natalie Ryan
The link was a better version of the image.
Only one more comment looking at the image. It appears that the horse was brought in and added to the image. It is only slightly noticeable yet the quality of the horse is a bit lower than the rest of the image in my opinion.

It is not a must to be familiar with color spaces and color management yet over the long haul it would be good to know a bit about it. Here is a link to consider to read over time:
https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/color-management-printing.htm

Thanks again for sharing
John Wheeler

hello.
I like the whole concept, the mood and the color temperature of it.
the problem that I notice( based on my opinion) are the lighting. the shadow of the horse is still not complete, like its not done yet. in addition the toe of the horse need a little bit of shadow on it.
Just mind the source of lighting. Its located at the rear side, you need to focus on where the shade will gonna impact to the piece.

lovely piece and thanks for sharing.

I love the concept of it and the layout. As others have mentioned, the lighting has to be improved to open up the shadows. As also mentioned, the horse is a bit blurry and seems to be less sharp than the rock to its side.

Beyond that, its a matter of aesthetics that belongs to the artist. You have to make your "statement", what you want to say and what you want the viewer to see. Most importantly, what emotion do you want to bring out.

Stay with it - very much worth working on!

- Jeff

Back