What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How are these text-wrapping effects created?

u6s68

burtonhistorytrees*DOT*com/first-look-chicago-coffee-roasters

entheosweb*DOT*com/typography/ideas.asp

*DOT* before the "www" and "com" due to being too new to post links.

This tutorial looks good to me. You can play with the text size, color, font. I think it would be easy to create a more accurate shaping of text to image border by adjusting the size of the words as in the roaster example you give.

The other is more complex. We may have members with a good idea how it's done. I would have to experiment. It looks like displacement mapping, warping perhaps, masking of course.

I'd try both techniques, but I'm having a rather basic PS problem. In the tut, your text tool cursor shows up with a dotted ellipse around it and I can't get mine to transform to this.

So, if you have same problem, we'll both sit here and wait for hawkeye or SCTRWD or Sam or someone to come show us!

Thanks. I understood that it was using only the path, not the shape object! Good. This will be fun.

I played with the other example and made a replica, but not nearly as good. Which means my method is very likely not the same. The idea is there. That's an interesting discussion in your link SCTRWD. I used a displacement map. I think adding the liquify filter might just wor to round it out more. IDK if it would work as the only method, unless one is expert using liquify. Hey Paul! If I get anywhere, I'll post results.

Back to u6s68! How is it coming? Did the replies help you? Have you accomplished results you'd like to post? We'd love to see your work.

I gave this a try. The letters don't line up as well as I would like. Need to work on that technique, assuming I'm anywhere close to a good method. For this attempt, I used a displacement map of the guy's body of course. I applied it both to the body shape and the background text. I did that so I could mask the edges of the guy and blend him into the background without losing the lineup of the text. I used only a little bit of liquify. The part that bugs me is the right arm and some of the text on the face. Maybe different displacement settings . ..

Anyway, this is not quite the same. But I enjoyed trying to replicate the technique. I'd love to see other attempts.

Hug__by_mitsu_model_map.jpg

The tutorial is good.

@ibclare, the text tool cursor turns to one with a dotted ellipse when shape layer is selected in the Layers panel. And not only that - the vector mask of the shape layer must be selected(it must have white border around it in the Layers panel).

I'm still not getting the elliptical tracing around the cursor and I've tried several variations . . . I recently reset PS for a different issue. Maybe I should try again,

Clare, I once found a tutorial on this effect but I can't seem to find it now. I have a habit of bookmarking tutorials, apparently I missed this one.

As I said I'd tried the Liquify filter and got the good result. As a matter of fact, much better then the one in the OP image.

The key point is using the masks extensively. You have to make all the significant masks beforehand and in the progress of using the Liquify filter.

And using the right tools and in right context:)

It really pays to experiment and become an expert using Liquify. It takes time but it pays a lot.

As I said use the
Forward Warp tool most of the time. Don't get wedded to Pucker or Bloat tools, most of the time they won't give you the effect you really want.

First step is to use Transform Warp tool to "tuck" the text in behind the figure. Select the figure, invert the selection and Transform Warp the text so that it looks as if it goes behind the figure and then continues over the figure. That adds the natural "gaps" in text, as it would look in real 3D figure, with some parts of text obscured behind the figure.

Then make a precise mask for every part that would require different tools in Liquify filter.

The more masks you make the better.

Go to Liquify filter and use Forward Warp to warp the text according to your taste.

Using Liquify filter don't forget to play with Radius and other features. Try and probe.

And, once again, use masks(Alpha channels)! Don't even try to get the least complex effect without masks. You won't get anywhere!

To make the most of Liquify filter you just MUST use the masks!

It's not just a surplus feature - it's crucial in a way that makes use of of
Liquify filter totally useless most of the time or, on the other hand, gives the Liquify filter the unprecedented leverage no other tool can provide.

Just try to think of the mask first and then you'll make the most of Liquify filter.

Thanks for posting good tutorial something else to try !

Back