What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How bad is a sratch for a lens

Hoogle

Guru
well ask for sample pictures. how cheap is the lens. You may find it will be different at focal lengths the top end of the the telephoto I should imagine it would be unnoticeable however close up and the 70mm range it probably will be more noticeable.

Certain scratches maybe very easy to hide in PP if you are a confident photoshop user.

yeah i guess the best way would be to try clicking a few sample pictures on some plain backgrounds. Black..white.. etc at different focal lengths. That way you get to know whats the worst case scenario. If its not too bad then small scratches are easy to fix in PS later especially if its fixed length prime lens. Then you always know exactly where it is and what shape it has so you can take care of it.

Hoogle

Guru
well not really location the size yes the location will only really be relevant to the focus point you were using. If it showed up swap focus points. a lens like this I would imagine you will be running it on a higher end nikon probably an fx with large sensor.

An example this shot was shot at the tele photo end of the Nikon 70 -200 kit lens on a dx format camera about an inch in front of the lens was a chicken wire fence this bird is inside an avery. that would be more extreme than just 1 scratch on the lens but as the focus point was in the distance the chicken wire is completely blurred and not really noticeable. You know something is there but considering how much was actually there it is quite amazing to see very little.

427548_3250454017015_1136910730_5006389_134977703_n.jpg

peta62

Guru
Hello,
as Hoogle's picture shows it will also decrease contrast and can bring chromatic aberration under some conditions. I think it would have to be very significant discount to pay off. I personally would consider if the price would be less than half of unscratched, not half of new, of course depending of size and impact and your mileage may vary.
Best regards,
Peter

costisefu

yes, it is tempting, but I don't have the courage. Not by delivery, without being able to test it.