What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I apply the same 'local adaptation' HDR toning results to multiple images?

hymerman

First of all: hi!

Second: I have a set of images in 32 bit .hdr format, which I would like to turn into 8 bit png files. Specifically, they are 6 sides of a cubemap, which join together seamlessly, and still need to do so after the conversion.

I've played around with the options in the HDR toning dialogue and have a setup I really like the look of, based around the 'local adaptation' method. The trouble is, if I apply those settings to each of the 6 images individually, they are no longer seamless (some have higher/lower contrast and brightness etc), presumably because these settings are 'relative to' the image being processed.

So, my question is, how can I apply the same kind of operations to each of these images (so they remain seamless), mimicking what the 'local adaptation' method is doing?

The specific settings I have changed in the dialogue are the edge glow radius and strength, the 'detail', and the colour vibrance and saturation.

I imagine I can sort out the saturation easily enough, and I guess the other settings are just different ways of saying contrast, but I've not yet been able to get anything looking nearly as nice just by tweaking contrast and saturation - there must be something I'm missing.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: How can I apply the same 'local adaptation' HDR toning results to multiple images

Create a droplet! You basicly record your actions to one image, then drop a bundle of file onto the droplet, and it will do the exact same thing to them all.

Tuts for this are on youtube.

Re: How can I apply the same 'local adaptation' HDR toning results to multiple images

Thanks for the reply! But surely that will get the same results as putting the same numbers in the dialogue for each image? That's what I've already done and the resulting images don't look right. What I'm looking for is some way to achieve the results the local adaptation tone mapping achieves, but in the same way for each image, rather than based off each image.

I'd try putting all the images in one big image, but I'm fairly sure that will go wrong since I think some blurring gets done, which won't work if the edges don't line up (and this is a cube, so there are a lot of seams!).

Back