What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I crop outside an image once inserted onto another canvas in Photoshop?

OK... Make a layer out of the Lady Gaga image.

Create the shape you need, position it where you want it and fill black. Assign this layer below Lady Gaga.

I'm on a pc, so I don't remember the Apple keys for this next step... press ALT and click the line between the 2 layers in the layers palette. In my image, that's layer 0 (with the arrow pointing down) and layer 1 (which is underlined). This is called CLIPPING GROUP.

This will clip the Lady image to the shape you created without affecting/deleting the any part of her image.

Link these 2 layers. You can now move the clipped it around the canvass. If unhappy with the size of the clipped image, unlink the layers, select the shape layer and CTRL+T to tranform the shape. Relink it with the Lady image so you can move it around.

What do you think?

Note.... it doesn't have to be a rectangle.... ANY SHAPE WILL DO.

Coffee_dv82.jpg

Last edited:
OK... Make a layer out of the Lady Gaga image.

Create the shape you need, position it where you want it and fill black. Assign this layer below Lady Gaga.

I'm on a pc, so I don't remember the Apple keys for this next step... press ALT and click the line between the 2 layers in the layers palette. In my image, that's layer 0 (with the arrow pointing down) and layer 1 (which is underlined). This is called CLIPPING GROUP.

This will clip the Lady image to the shape you created without affecting/deleting the any part of her image.

Link these 2 layers. You can now move the clipped it around the canvass. If unhappy with the size of the clipped image, unlink the layers, select the shape layer and CTRL+T to tranform the shape. Relink it with the Lady image so you can move it around.

What do you think?

Note.... it doesn't have to be a rectangle.... ANY SHAPE WILL DO.

View attachment 16593

That is EXACTLY what I want to do. CLIPPING GROUP!
Another new thing learned.
dv8_fx you are awesome, thanks a million.

That will also do, Aunty.

But I think he wants add more images around the main image - foreground and background..... I think...lol..

Missed several posts there dv8, so you are now replying to my message that has been shortened to one word :mrgreen:

(and who you calling aunty gramps?)

Sorry all would have clarified a bit more but things been have been kinda hecktic. :)

I would like to add a couple of things:

1. I understand the struggle to use masks. I was "afraid" of them for the longest time - until I learned how to use it. Now I use it all the time. I think the problem you had with the masks is probably because you didn't unlink the mask and the picture?

masking.jpg by unlinking the mask and the content you can move the image around.

2. You can do the clipping simply by clicking on the layer to be clipped (layer 0 in dv8_fx's example - post #22) and press <Ctrl>+<Alt>+G (this way you don't have to try to click between lines). The real beauty of Clipping is that you "mask"multiple layers. This is something I recently learned. Here's an example:
multiple layer clipping.jpg (using your Lady Gaga theme :))

3. Now, I have the same question that I thought Coffee_King first posted. I know I can use an image (layer), even if it's too big for my canvas. I could simply leave it the way it is, but wouldn't that make my file bigger for no good reason?
deleting excess.jpg

Also, when I <Ctrl>+click on the layer thumbnail, the selection goes beyond the boundaries of the canvas.
selection beyond canvas boundaries.jpg
I would like to simply do something like Select All, Invert the Selection, and delete. But that doesn't work; Photoshop says that there are no pixels selected.

So, I could - as Coffee_King suggested - crop the image, but that would crop the other layers as well. There's gotta be another way of doing this. Any suggestions?

Crazy to think that this long post is my first one...
Thank you!

What is wrong with your file being bigger? Disk space is cheap. Never sacrifice editability for file size. That said, you can crop your "layer 3" image by selecting all (cmd-A), floating the selection to a new layer (cmd-J) and deleting the original layer. Now it's cropped. Or you could select all, make a layer mask then apply the layer mask. Either way does the same thing.

Thank you jaysuess. You have a point when you say to never sacrifice space for editability, but if your computer starts to take 30 seconds to save the file, you might want to reconsider how much editability you need and save the large image on a separate file.
Ctrl+A >> Ctrl+J >> delete "original" makes sense. Thank you.

Back