What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I do this coloring effect?

ImAWhiteCat

Hi. I tried posting this on Reddit but got no response. Making maps is one of my hobbies and I found this way of coloring relief that's been used in Swiss topographic maps:
Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 9.05.25 PM.png
However, it only describes the manual process by using layers of ink, and I wanted to apply it digitally in Photoshop with a map of mine. I've tried changing the color balance of the layer to cyan, magenta, or the necessary color, but I don't think that's the right way. What do you think is the best way to apply this? If you need more info tell me. Thanks in advance for any help!

Hello and welcome.

What do you think is the best way to apply this? If you need more info tell me. Thanks in advance for any help!
Can you provide a sample image that you would like to apply this effect to?

Hello and welcome.

Can you provide a sample image that you would like to apply this effect to?

Hi! Yes, I have one, sorry for not providing it. The method requires a grayscale shaded relief image like this one. Any workflow or guide would be fine!
light-1.png

OK, see if I'm understanding you.

Original
Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 2.54.17 PM.png

Here I used "Color Range" to make a selection of a particular shade of grey shading on the original. I used the the selection to copy that particular shade to a new layer (selection layer). Then I added a "Solid Color Fill" layer clipped to the selection layer (set to color blending mode) to add the color blue.
Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 2.54.30 PM.png

Repeat to add the color Yellow to a new and different shade selection.
Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 2.54.53 PM.png

Repeat to add the color Red to a new and different shade selection.
Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 2.55.07 PM.png

Here they are combined.
Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 2.55.20 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-09 at 3.03.16 PM.png

Not sure if this is what your wanting.

Ah, that's the correct approach, thank you very much! I've tried now and it works correctly, I'll make some specific corrections but this is the right thing. Thanks again!

Back