What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how can i do this?

00jwhittle

hi,

I am trying to take just the text out of this image. I dont want the background or anything.

I also want the text to be solid black. Its for a charity thing i am doing tommorow so urgent help needed! lol

Thanks alot guys

costafoundation.jpg

Just set the tolerance higher and select the brown text, enable your quick mask and fill in the blotches exit out of your quick mask and a color overlay in your blend option.

Go to select color range and click on the letter. Now hold shift and click several more times in diffrent places on the letters to get a broader range. Turn fuzziness upto 200. Click ok in the color range dialoge box. This will make a color based selection. Now go to select>modify>feather and put 1 pixel in the box and hit ok. Now hit layer>new>layer via copy. Now to make it black. Hit cntrl+l to bring up levels. Take the top slide on the left and move it to the right till it suits you. Hide background layer and save as a .png.

The best looking way would be to trace it with the pen tool and fill it with black but that will be time consuming.

I agree, with Stric9 about the use of pen tool.

here is an ultra quick version
webUpload

it just doesnt look right because i cant get the solide black text. when i do it their are lots of gaps in the board and letters

OTOH, if you want to retain the rough edged look, here's my suggestion:

1) Use the magic wand (one of the better times to use the wand). Set to high tolerance. This will come up on the tool bar. Set it to 60 or so. If you have the quick selection (this is also where you find magic wand) experiment with that, but I think it is not as good with rough edges.
2) Now go in and clean up. Here is where quick select tool is excellent. Shift click to add non-selected spots inside letters and alt-click to clean up the edges here and there.
3) Select>inverse (ctl-shift-I), then delete
4) Select>inverse, then fill with black. Deselect.
5) Save as png

OK, because this is for a charity, I will post my results. You'll have to add lines back to the palm tree as I wasn't too careful with my selection there or in some of the letters which could stand some cleanup. I have to go for a couple hours or I'd do a better job. Or, you can carefully and slowly follow my newbie-level friendly directions and have what you need as well as the satisfaction of having done it yourself. And if you ask me, which you didn't :naughty:, that is worth its weight in gold. I think you can do it. Good luck whatever you decide.

This is a png so if you right click and "save as" rather than copy it, you'll keep the transparent BG.

Attachments

• foundation.png
    foundation.png
    59.7 KB · Views: 10
ok Is my computer messing up the preview shows that image as a transparant background but when I post the thread it has a white background someone let me know
Capture.PNG see in my preview it is transparant

Back