What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I properly manipulate a butterfly to look like another?

Jon5500

This sounds fairly simple, but I am having a hard time doing it: I am trying to use Photoshop 2018 to manipulate the butterfly in the top image to look just like the bottom image does. First I tried warp, but too generalized, then puppet warp (but that seems too sensitive and warps the result too much) and finally liquify to no avail. Any suggestions or tutorials would be welcome. I found no videos for this. thanks in advance.

test.pngtest1.png

JeffK

Guru
Although it's a very tricky tool, I think the Puppet Warp is your best choice. It really comes down to where you drop the pins in order to manipulate the image.
Was watching a video where the artist wanted to create an image of a bird flapping its wings. If you scroll to about 4:24 on the video, you can see where he places those pins:

There are other tutorials that can give you more background on the use of the tool - here's one from the Photoshop Training Channel:

I haven't used the tool that much but I understand what it can do. In a sense, you're not only just distorting the image, but you're also changing the perspective of the wings. If you think of it that way, it might be more helpful to get you where you want to go.

- Jeff

Jon5500

JeffK, thanks for the info! Although I came across that first video initially, I didn't think it would help much and skipped it, then when I saw you sharing it, I thought I'd take a look. Good thing I watched it. Up until this point, I have used puppet warp very little, so wasn't aware of all of its settings. A few quick setting re-adjusments and now I have a workable result. I have played with the tool before, but had never adjusted any settings. Now that I know about them, I will definitely be using the tool more in the future!

Sometimes, after a shooting session and especially with something like insects, you're left with wanting more but it's next to impossible to go out and reshoot exactly what you want because insects are random and unpredictable. Now I have an understood tool I can use in the future. Thanks again!

JeffK

Guru
Hi Jon:
Glad that I was able to provide you some additional incentive and help.
I've also found that getting into some sketching exercises - pencil and paper - changed the way I looked at images. Just another thought.
If you have the patience, time, and curiosity, most things are possible! :)
- Jeff