What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I create these shadows that mimic depth/indentation?

Coffee_Girl

How do I create these shadows that give depth and dimensions?? This is a blanket texture that was extracted and you can see all the soft dark areas
that give depth.

er.png

So sorry if my English is not clear, I am not good with this language.

Rich54

Guru
There are many ways to paint shadows. For covering large areas such as your example, here is one way.
  • Create a new layer above your texture layer and fill it with black (or dark gray). Change the layer blend mode to Multiply.
  • Add a layer mask to the black layer. Fill the layer mask entirely with Black.
  • Select a large, soft brush and set the Flow to about 5%. Paint with white in the layer mask to gradually reveal the dark shadows. With the Flow set at 5% you can better control how much shadow you reveal by painting multiple brush strokes over the shaded area.

You can also do the same thing with white to create highlights. Painting highlights next to shadows is a good way to simulate depth.
  • Fill a new layer with white and change the layer blend mode to Soft Light.
  • Add a layer mask and fill the mask with black.
  • Select a soft brush and set the Flow to 5% to gradually paint the highlights.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Another technique I suggest is using a curves adjustment layer to apply a natural looking shadow. Black is usually not the best for shadowing. A curves adjustment layer allows you to darken (or lighten) the existing tonal or luminosity values of the subject/image naturally.
  • Open the image.
  • Go to > LAYER > NEW ADJUSTMENT LAYER > CURVES.
  • Adjust the Curves Adjustment Layer (CAL) to darken the image.
  • Click on the CAL's layer mask and hit Cmd/Cntrl + I to invert. The layer mask should now be black.
  • Select the Brush Tool and use a soft brush with the FLOW set to 2% to 5%. Paint on the canvas with white as your foreground color.
Original image:
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.28.49 PM.png

Darkened naturally with the CAL:
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.29.08 PM.png

After the CAL's layer mask has been inverted and the shadows have been painted in:
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.29.27 PM.png

Layers panel:
Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at 10.29.58 PM.png

Dormeur74

Power User
I use often the following technique (I am not a pro). I create a PNG file for the shadows. In the following example there are two lighting sources. Therefore, two shadows, one lighter and smoother as the second.

shadows.jpg

When done, you can use it as a layer to set under the subject. Then you apply an "Overlay" blending mode and can choose between warm or cold shadows and smooth or hard shadows.

shadows2.jpg