What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do i cut out objects from images properly?

So this happens to me lots of times. I cut out an object from image(building , person, ect.) and i end up with really bad defined edges. This is the image i was using australiacitytrip.com/images/Perth_Skyline.jpg i wanted to cut out the buildings and place them into a logo i49.tinypic.com/fm6ud3.jpg but as you can see edges of buildings are horrible. Now when i press left mouse button i see that on some buildings lines are nicely placed onto them but when i stop holding LMB all lines(you know that black and white ones showing what you have selected on the image) mess up and when i press the button again they are nice and fine on the borders of the buildings. and then again messed up Now how do i properly cut out the buildings or anything else without getting this crappy effect?

Hello, I would try few ideas :
1 to increase contrast and use Magnetic lasso tool with Refine edge
2 make selection on blue channel due to sky colour
3 Colour range again with Refine edge
and combination of all above
Cheers,
Peter

If you want to cut out images like this PROPERLY as stated in your question, you're going to want to get acquainted with the pen tool, especially if you're going to use the shape in a silhouette illustration like the one you posted. Forget the magic lasso exists and never, NEVER use it to make masks. EVER. (If you seriously want to cut out objects properly anyway). Using the magic lasso or magic wand or any other "magic" tool will only give you amateur-looking results every time.

Back