What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Actions How do I delete from recent folder?

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @clintfield31
You did not provide much context about your problem such as was this when using Photoshop or another program and also which OS are you using Windows or Mac.
With not further information, standard approach would be to use a search function with the OS file management programs (e.g. Finder in Macs) and search with a partial name of the file and have it look through the entire computer file system. That would find it.
More context about your situation may allow a better suggestion on an approach.
Hope that helps
John Wheeler

clintfield31

Thank you for your reply; I am on a fairly new IBM, not Mac, for this. I have searched, like you say for the file. It comes up, but there's no actual file there.
Windows 11

clintfield31

I think so; it;s just my lack of familiarity with this latest version. I was using older version that was easier to navigate. I'm sure it's a button or small command I'm just missing. I can find the file by searching C drive, but it looks like it's a temp with no real file to it.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Please...........unless you can give us much more information than you have provided here, we will have a hard time helping you!!!!

Here's basically what we know from what you have provided.
You are searching for some unknown file or file type that you would like to delete from a recent folder.
You can find the file by searching your C drive, but you think it's a temp.
You are working on a newer IBM (?) using Windows 11.
You think this is a Ps issue.
Your Ps is a new version for you.
You feel it could be a button or command you're missing.

So please give us exact details about how and when the file was generated and what type of file it is. What version of Ps are you now running? What "recent" folder are you referring to? Why do you want to delete it?
It will really help us with your problem so we can offer some suggestions.

kabak

Guru
Could it be deleting recently opened files?
If yes,
go to file menu
At the very bottom of the list of recent files
" clear recent list file "

Screenshot_20230207-162055_Firefox.jpg

thebestcpu

Guru
That's a good input @kabak and good reading between the lines and that very well may be to which the OP is referring.
I think it would help the most if @clintfield31 would provide more details verbally or even better yet with screenshots.

Assuming that the OP is talking about the File > Open Recent command I can add on to your post.

1) The Open Recent list only copies the path in the file system from which the file was opened.
One cannot delete a file in the file system from the Open Recent list.
The other issue with the Open Recent list is that if the file has been renamed or moved to another location in the computer, the Open Recent command will no longer find that file in the file system and you will have to find it another way.
The Open Recent list only provides the user the name of the file and not the location in the file system

2) Maybe not related to the OPs direct problem there is a way to fined the location of actively opened files from within Photoshop pretty easily.
If the open document is in a tab, they you right click on the title bar and it gives you an open to Reveal the location of the file in the OS via Finder for Mac system and Window Explorer in PC systems e.g.:

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 3.08.29 PM.jpg

If the active document is not in a tab yet in its own floating window, you right click on the tab and it gives you the path name in a dropdown and you can clcik on go to anywhere in that path name directly:

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 3.11.01 PM.jpg

From within the OS File system program (FInder/Window Explorer) you can delete the file directly.

Hope this helps
John Wheeler