What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do I make a similar picture?

Try to make the contrast of your picture a bit higher. Also, blur out the background of the plates/subject in your photo. That adds depth and it makes the reader/person looking focus on the food. I would also add a gradient map.

Here:
food-sample.jpg
I also uploaded the .psd file so that you can explore what I did.

If I may, what dish is that? Looks really delicious!

Attachments

• food-sample.psd
    14.9 MB · Views: 6
I really like what Gerard did, but I would add a few more tweaks to his version.

1. I *really* don't like the blown and very bright areas in the image, especially since they don't occur where you want the viewer's eye to go. The best way to deal with these would be to reshoot the image, but since that isn't an option, I tried to rein them in using PP techniques.

2. Similarly, I prefer lower contrast in areas where you don't want to attract the viewer's attention, so I slightly brightened the inky dark areas in the periphery of the image.

3. I don't like the cloth napkin having a magenta tone. It has nothing to do with the color scheme of the rest of the image, and is another thing to pull the viewer's eye away from the bowl of soup, so I made it a slightly warm gray.

4. Again, to keep the viewer's eye where it belongs, I put a thin black border around the image.

Just my $0.02,

Tom M

Attachments

• food-sample-tjm01-02_650px_wide.jpg
    food-sample-tjm01-02_650px_wide.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 28
BTW, I just took another look at the original of this image and was fairly shocked to find that the soup was close to white in that version but quite yellow in Gerard's version (which is the one I tweaked). Arghhh!

Without the yellow to grab one's eye, I probably would make the background less saturated, almost monochromatic / sepia, and probably a bit more blurred, especially around the very edges. ...maybe something like this...

Attachments

• food-sample-tjm02-02_650px_wide.jpg
    food-sample-tjm02-02_650px_wide.jpg
    280.6 KB · Views: 24
That looks really well... I forgot that I should retain the original color of the food. Haha. In my other food photos I would saturate the colors of the food more so that it doesn't look flat and it looks, well, tastier! :)

Keitto paahdetusta makeasta valkosipulista, leivästä ja mantelista

Roasted sweet garlic soup, bread and almonds

Google tells me Finnish....My eyes tell me YUMMMMM !!:yourock::yourock: :redface:

Last edited:

Back