What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you create a varnish effect in Photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are talking about the out of focus blur on the card in the back, I think that photo was simply shot that way. It's done by adjusting the aperture on your camera.

If you are trying to do that on another image post it up and we can take a look. There's several options.

Oh sorry I misread your post, thought it said "vanish effect"...

Something like this?

rzSkF.png

Ok, here is the PSD of the image I made above (in attachment) and I'll briefly tell you how I did it.

First I made a layer for the background and filled it with green that I sampled off the card in your pic.

Then I added the text on a layer above that.

Then on another layer I made a radial gradient with colors from the text that I sampled from your image, it went from near white to the darker green. I just drew it from the lower right corner filling most of the image.

Then I made a clipping mask to clip the text to that gradient layer (Alt Click between the layers). This gave me the color in the text.

Next I added a layer style of Bevel and Emboss, with the following settings:
946F1.png

Then I just added a drop shadow with distance of 0, size of 7 and 10% opacity.

Here's the PSD file, you can just copy the layer style from it and put it on any other text layer:

Attachments

• varnish-effect.zip
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,181
Nice share Gaussian, thank you. The lettering looks glossy, and a little raised off the paper.

Thanks so much for this! I was just googling how to do this and you've saved and taught me an awful lot :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back