What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you work out the colour of a transparent object?

Wick

Is there an easy way to work out something like the colour of the transparent plastic in a pair of goggles? You can see in the attached image that the character is wearing goggles, and I’m wondering how you would figure out the colour of his goggles.

21ECC567-D013-4686-9958-0E7CA63AD62F.jpeg

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi Wick
You did not leave any information on the end result you are trying to achieve so my thoughts are limited by only guessing at how you will use the information.
The analysis is also limited by the image being provided in JPEG (lossy compression) format which can has artifacts and can by itself modify the original colors of the image
Assuming the skin color outside the goggles and behind the goggles are the same (only modified by the lens of the goggles), the the hue has only slightly shifted.
You most likely could get away with a pure black lens and just increase the transparency until you get a match. I did not do a calculation of the amount of transparency because that was not clear it was needed from your request.

I suspect that is going to be close enough for most purposes.
Hope that helps
John Wheeler

Wick

Hi there,

The end result I was trying to achieve was to remove the background that can be seen through the visor near his left eyebrow.

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hey.
Some of the terminology is causing confusion. The character has on both goggles and a visor. Which are we referring to? There is no eyebrow showing, only his closed left eye can be seen through the characters left goggle lens.

thebestcpu

Guru
You beat me to it IamSam.
Thanks Wick
It appears that he has goggles as well as a visor and I am not sure now to which you refer. It may be more obvious to other forum members yet for me, it would help to know exactly which patch of color you want to modify. It is not to hard to reverse engineer the effects of a transparent pane as long as there is a reference color outside the pane of plastic/glass as well as the same color (modified by the pane of plastic/glass) under the pane of plastic/glass. If you could put in pointers to reference color and the point behind the pane, that would help.

Wick

You beat me to it IamSam.
Thanks Wick
It appears that he has goggles as well as a visor and I am not sure now to which you refer. It may be more obvious to other forum members yet for me, it would help to know exactly which patch of color you want to modify. It is not to hard to reverse engineer the effects of a transparent pane as long as there is a reference color outside the pane of plastic/glass as well as the same color (modified by the pane of plastic/glass) under the pane of plastic/glass. If you could put in pointers to reference color and the point behind the pane, that would help.
Hi there,

Sorry about some of the confusing terminology. I meant to say that I want to remove the background that can be seen through his visor near his right eye (circled in red). As for the reference colour, you could easily work out the colour of the visor from his left temple (circled in blue), and then work out whether or not the transparent colour of the goggles is stacked with the colour of the visor. If you could, I'd love to know the steps taken to figure the colours.

Thanks in advance,
Wick

InkedWick Profile Pic_LI.jpg