What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does he do it?

JTA777

Hey guys, so there's this other forum I go on for a mobile game known as Defender of Texel (DOT) and on the forums, there's this guy who makes these amazing signatures, and I really wanna know how he does it, and what filters/effects he's using to create them, because I LOVE the way they come out. Here's a few samples:

U5MyQwo.png
5IBhMeT.png
IMP3eOf.png

These are only a few of his best signatures. Anyways, I just wanna know how he creates those awesome backgrounds and what effects he's using to make them. I'm really focused on the 3rd picture that I posted. If someone could help me out and teach me how to get similar effects (including the emulated pixels effect) I'd be more than greatful. Thanks in advance!

My guess is he found a background and cut it. Other than that it looks like lines coming down with different opacities.

from me to you....

Thanks, but what about the little squares that look like blown up pixels on the background (3rd picture). Is there a filter or something to create that effect?

a simple brush....BUT you will need to set up the brush's dynamics

Many different ways with PS...cut and paste, adjust blending, hand drawn graphics using pen tool....the list keeps growing.

Filters only change what you have already made.

What version of PS do you have ?

Also, the maroon background looks like he used the cloud filter in addition to other textures. Probably made the clouds on a maroon color layer. Set on a blend mode, it could be over the texture, or the texture over it.

For the first, he may have used cloud photos, but I would personally use cloud brushes to extend the cloud effect. Then there appears to be a gradient over all.

The third, like Mike said, is possibly brushes or a pattern he created or found. It could be that the brushings are done on multiple layers with different shades of blue, or once the design is made, sections of the pattern are made into separate layers. I say that because he could then make inner and/or outer glows in some sections and not in others, change hue, etc.

Ever tried asking him?

Thanks for all the help man! And yeah, I tried asking him on MULTIPLE occasions...never got a reply. Anyways, thanks, I really appreciate it.

What site they on mate, i could go ask the owner myself?

They are so heavily pixelated because they actual game play renders, then enlarged to making the pixels/blocks even bigger the rest (back grounds) are just varying colours and brushes/patterns applied.

Right, the characters are simply copy&paste plus a little lighting around them. I'm just trying to figure out how he gets the pixelish texture in the background. And if I understand correctly, you say it was just a brush which makes "pixels" appear to be around the same size as the character?

Back