What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to achieve this effect?

seaningtime

As title states, I was wondering how to create this sort of effect in photoshop?
I really like the look and I'm seeing it pop up in different places, yet I can't figure out how to do it on my own, any help would be appreciated!
(This picture is from IGN's best of 2017 if anyone is curious)

Thanks!

Untitled.png

What effect are you asking about?

Looks like a colour layer applied to a regular layer containing a collage image. Go to layers, add a new layer, change from Normal to Colour layer. Paint within this layer with flat colour to create the hues you want to overwrite the layer below.

Guys, there are too many effects goinig on in the OP's example image. Until we hear back from him on which one of the many effects he's interested in, you would need to break down all the effects and explain them individually.

Attachments

• e3QVOHa.jpg
    e3QVOHa.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 0
Sorry, to clarify I was interested in making portraits that are just one color, or mainly one color as each of those portraits are.
If I could take any picture of somebody and make it look like the purple guy on the right for example I would be ecstatic.
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 7.29.41 PM.png

I'm hoping there's an easy-ish way to do this.

Thanks again for all of your help guys

Very easy...........

Take you photo of Logan....
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 10.08.07 PM.png

Make a selection of Logan and use a layer mask to isolate him from the old BG.
Add a new white background layer below the Logan layer.
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 10.08.32 PM.png

Add a Color Fill Adjustment layer using the desired color (purple). Set it's Blending Mode to Linear Light.
Duplicate the layer mask (Hold option and drag) to the Color Fill Adjustment layer. (Note: You could also clip the Color Fill adjustment layer to the Logan layer................whichever is easiest for you)
Lower it's opacity to 44%.
Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 10.08.49 PM.png

Done.

Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 10.09.45 PM.png

I do not think there is an easy way to cutting out an image with minute hair detail. Quick selection, Magic Wand Tool, Quick Mask and refine edge tools assist in a big manner.

Once you have a selection made, go to "Colour Balance", move the slider towards Magenta all the way and move the slider towards Blue all the way to achieve similar colour effect.

I do not think there is an easy way to cutting out an image with minute hair detail.
Yes, I agree. However, alpha channel selection works the best and the fastest for this particular selection.

Once you have a selection made, go to "Colour Balance", move the slider towards Magenta all the way and move the slider towards Blue all the way to achieve similar colour effect.
While this technique might get you close, You have to use both the midtones and the highlights...........problem is you start shifting your darker colors in the hair towards the blown out blue side. You don't get the color shifting with a Color Fill adjustment layer. But there's no doubt that it would work as well!
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 12.30.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 12.34.40 AM.png

Back