What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to add more shine to leather/latex fabric?

Curves does a nice job of what you wish to achieve. You find three Ink Filler icons on the Properties window of Curves.

Top one selects the Black Point. Choose this and experiment by clicking on different black points on the image.
Do the same for the Third ink filler, to get the White point.
Then do the same with Neutral point.

Select the area you wish to add more shine to, such as her leather dress and apply this as a mask to Curves so the changes only affect on the dress.

I gave additional Brightness to the whole image and also added contrast to the dress separately in additional layers.

My result is as follows:
2.png

Similar to a Dodge & Burn technique using Curves Adjustment layers (CAL), I added a very bright CAL.
(Note: I also converted the image to a smart object and added a smart sharpen filter.)

Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 11.51.21 PM.png

I then inverted the the CAL layer mask (turned it black) and then Used the Brush Tool set to white and lowered settings to gently brighten the shiny areas.
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 11.54.19 PM.png

Next I also added another CAL to enhance the contrast. I lowered the opacity to 50%.

Before and after.
Screen Shot 2021-02-13 at 11.56.27 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-13 at 11.55.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 12.01.00 AM.png

Similar to a Dodge & Burn technique using Curves Adjustment layers (CAL), I added a very bright CAL.
(Note: I also converted the image to a smart object and added a smart sharpen filter.)

View attachment 118892

I then inverted the the CAL layer mask (turned it black) and then Used the Brush Tool set to white and lowered settings to gently brighten the shiny areas.
View attachment 118893

Next I also added another CAL to enhance the contrast. I lowered the opacity to 50%.

Before and after.
View attachment 118895View attachment 118894

View attachment 118896
thanks mate,it's awesome

Here's my take on this. A bit of a different approach, which gives more consistent results and I think is more beginner-friendly. I use a different software, but I will adjust the steps below to make it work in Adobe Photoshop.
First thing I did was duplicate the layer and select the latex clothing. (This can be a very rough selection as long as it's feathered a bit.) Then I turned off the visibility of the bottom layer.
1613448843364.png
Then I messed with the blend ranges of this new layer (basically like the Blend If sliders in Photoshop) to show only the very bright areas. To access the Blend If sliders, double-click the right side of the layer in the Layers panel. Then, grab the left side of the slider and drag it quite far to the right. This will give you a pretty harsh result, so hold Alt and click on the slider to break it apart, and drag the halves further apart to make the transition smoother.
This will give you a result something like this:
1613449140625.png
Now just enable the original layer below it, and change the blend mode of this layer to Linear Dodge (Add) or Screen.
1613449288325.png
If the highlight effect you're getting is too strong, you can always reduce the opacity. Or if it isn't strong enough, you can simply duplicate the layer.

Back