What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to blend fish tail?

SepiaPhotographi

Hi guys... Is there a video tutorial that would help me learn the necessary techniques to blend this person's skin with the fish tail? So that it looks more natural? Or is it more work than it's worth? I started using the eraser, with a light opacity, but it just looks like a faded blend.

FinHead.png

I started using the eraser, with a light opacity, but it just looks like a faded blend.

Yikes...

Why use the eraser when you can apply a layer mask on the tail layer?
Apply a layer mask, use a medium size soft black brush set at 25% so you can do more then one run.
To correct turn the black brush into white...
How to use layer masks

Another option is to apply a gradient on the bottom section of the tail layer.
Gradient blend

Last edited:
Yikes...

Why use the eraser when you can apply a layer mask on the tail layer?
Apply a layer mask, use a medium size soft black brush set at 25% so you can do more then one run.
To correct turn the black brush into white...
How to use layer masks

Another option is to apply a gradient on the bottom section of the tail layer.
Gradient blend

LOLOLOLOL

Yeah, I did use a layer mask to cut the tail out. However, I got a little disengchanted with the fact that I couldn't figure out a way to blend the tail and the head, and make it look "natural." I even tried the layer blends. I got some nice effects, but it didn't give me that seamless blend between the head and tail I was looking for. And I couldn't seem to find the videos I needed on YouTube, and I had no ideas of my own. I'll check your ideas out.. Thanks so much...

Those videos where not what I was looking for. They were for more fading than blending. I ended up going back to using a mask, and bushed until faded. I guess this is about "natural" as I can get, since having a tail on top of your head is technically unnatural. I also ended up creating two fishtail layers, one to try and blend his natural skin, and another to blend with the fist tail skin.

Attachments

• TailTail.png
    TailTail.png
    640.1 KB · Views: 5
I made a texture out of the tail, and applied it to the skin. I think this is as good as i'm going to get it. I might table this to the side...until I can find a group who are masters of blending, that an help me.TailTail2.png

I've come to realize that it really depends on the species. Unfortunately, I picked the two hardest subjects to try and blend. Probably if I used a tail where the scales were more pronounced (and had harder edges), I'm sure I would have had an easier time.

Back