What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how to create a hellish background

kar1zma

how to create a hellish theme

its been a while but im back my friend did a photoshoot and ended with this pic10001158_807100355985828_1173011724_o.jpgand i wanna give it a hellish theme. scary ash clouds , some volcanos spitting lava, road kinda on fire maybe throw in some evil birds
so far ive started with this

gurus your suggestions and help please

Attachments

• esacpe!!.jpg
    esacpe!!.jpg
    832 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

kar1zma

man ive been putting this off for too long

i want to finish this
i followed this tut from youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYmyUNSqZXk

where we basically used a dry cracked earth to create the cracks
but how do i get it to lie on the road so that it looks real

i create the cracked road with lava effect and then use the distort too to level it on the road
but this cause the image to stretch and looses believable dimensions

any advice

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Post the lava effect that you came up with.

On idea would be to add the perspective before you create your effect.

Screen Shot 2014-04-27 at 5.40.34 PM.png

Last edited:

kar1zma

thanks for the example iamsam

the problem is if i take a single image like the example and stretch it to match the level of the road
it becomes unvbelievable. ive managed to figure out a way but its tedious
i use 3-4 copies of the same cracked layer each copy for a section of the road
this maintains real proportions

however not im just not getting the correct fiery lava effect

SCTRWD

Power User
I'm not sure if this post is anyhow relevant for your particular case but here is one of the techniques I use sometimes with regard to Perspective transform.

One of the peculiarity of Perspective/Distort transform is that it transforms the image uniformly in both directions.

This is sometimes not exactly what you want: while you are satisfied with vertical distortion the horizontal one could be a bit too much or the other way round.

Here is the trick you can use to make non-uniform perspective distortion.

For illustration I chose the extreme case: only the vertical distortion with absolutely no horizontal one.

That is, I'd like to make the distortion like the one shown bellow:

Perspective1.png

First off the best way to do it is to turn your image to Smart Object.

Now press Ctrl-T to enter the transform mode. Click the right mouse button and choose Perspective in the menu.

Distort the layer so that it gives you the right vertical distortion, never mind the horizontal one for now:

Perspective2.png

Now, not leaving the transform mode, right click the image and choose Warp in the menu.

For Warp type select any type from the list, say Arc. Set Bend option to 0, toggle the Warp orientation(see the image bellow) and scroll the vertical scale until the image has vertical left and right sides:

Perspective3.png

Now, not leaving the transform mode, right click the image and choose Scale in the menu. Grab the side handle on the right or left side of the transform box and move it(with Alt key pressed) so that the image returns to it's original width:

Perspective4.png

Press OK. Here is the result:

Perspective5.png

In one of my previous posts in your topics I used this technique to visually change the car angle so that it matched the horizontal line of the road: expanding the bottom part of the car while at the same time squeezing it's upper part. That effectively changed the height of the car's POV.

Hope this makes any sense or good for you or other fellow Photoshoppers:)

Last edited:

kar1zma

this is what i have come up with
escape-Recovered.jpg

ill copy the cracks layer 2 more times and distort it to match the contour of the road

i use outer glow and inner glow in layer style to give a red color to the cracks
but im not getting the right effect

kar1zma

ok here is the work

escape-Recovered.jpg

should i add some motion blur to the cracks as well?
they seem a bit off im not sure but its not too real

suggestions please

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The cracks don't look real or like lava at all! They are way too small, they look more like a a poorly maintained road that has had the cracks filled with pink asphalt.

The car looks stationary now so you would have to add a motion blur to the cracks.

Where is the Volcano on the left? Without it, the image is off balance. You've cropped out some other stuff as well.........revert back to the original image you had in your first post and add in the Tornado's......that's all you need to do to this image! If you feel you must have a crack, only make one or two and make them big and glowing!

kar1zma

The cracks don't look real or like lava at all! They are way too small, they look more like a a poorly maintained road that has had the cracks filled with pink asphalt.

The car looks stationary now so you would have to add a motion blur to the cracks.

Where is the Volcano on the left? Without it, the image is off balance. You've cropped out some other stuff as well.........revert back to the original image you had in your first post and add in the Tornado's......that's all you need to do to this image! If you feel you must have a crack, only make one or two and make them big and glowing!

I will add the volcano on the left
but i must have cracks with lava in it
thats my main vision for this image

could u guide me how to achieve that
im not getting the right colours for achieve this

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I was thinking something more like this but blurred.........

(This was done very fast and needs a lot more work)
Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 9.42.03 AM.png

kar1zma

interesting sam

though i was thinking more on the lines of cracks on the road filled with hot lava
let me try to follow ur earlier comments