What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create a psd for website design

I think what you are looking for is actually how to create a PSD and then use it for designing your website.
Here's what you need to do:
1)Create a new document with the appropriate resolution(as you need for your site).
2)Use a good image to be used as background for your web-page.Make sure the colors used in that do not overlap with the color of the text that is going to be on the page.
3)Copy this onto your main canvas and use Ctrl+T to transform it to a desirable size.
4)Adjust the opacity to get a much better look of the image you are using.This change in opacity gives it a nice distinct look and will make the text visible easily.
5)Create a new layer and add your logo that you want on your webpage.
6)If you want your text to be in a box on this page,you can do so by drawing a box.This is done by creating a new layer and drawing a rectangular marquee.Reduce its opacity by a considerable amount.This will make it look nice.
7)If you need a navigation box in your web-page,create another box by following the same procedure.
8)Fill in the text in each of the boxes as required.
9)Also add images wherever and however required.

Hope this helps.

There's really not an easy way to answer this, because it all depends on what you want the website to look like and also what the final output will be.

For example if you are going to use the PSD with a CMS like Wordpress or Drupal then the process is different than if you are slicing it fro XHTML/CSS output.

Really need more info to be able to help you.

Somethign else you migth want to consider is using a coder to slice the PSD for you and convert it to XHTML/CSS or whatever CMS theme if you are usign a CMS.

The reason I say this is it takes a bit of technical knowledge to do this yourself but there's a lot of places you can pay to have it done for a very reasonable price and very quickly.

Hi,

I am currently working as a web developer. Basically, I implement websites with open source packages, such as Joomla, Magento, etc... This can be stressful as I have to literally change every aspect of most templates to fit the clients' needs and also I have to add a lot of custom functionality. However, I cannot say that I am a PHP expert. Although I know how to do many stuff with PHP. When it comes to HTML and CSS I know them pretty well. However, I have become pretty stressed at this job and I would like to try out another job, mainly because when it comes to web I am in charge of everything where I work.

My question is, that an opportunity has arisen for a Web Designer job. Basically, at this job I will only need to create the designs and then the developers will take care of the implementation of the website. When you say 'just the design', this means the PSD and or/ Flash banners and so on? Or would you need to also create the HTML/CSS layout?

I know that when starting from scratch, a Web Designer's job is easier than a Web Developer's. However, since I used Joomla and other packages to create websites, I never really implemented a huge website from scratch. I know my way around Photoshop. I will now need to create designs from scratch. Do you think that I will do all right at this job or could I find it hard? Because I have a feeling that the pay will be better for a more relaxing job and I would like to try it out. However, I become very anxious when changing a job because of the fear of making a bad decision of changing it (this is the first time that I am considering to change the job after 1.5 years).

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Your first question about what format you will be expected to deliver the design work in is something you should ask your employer. Magento is complicated to design for... it's very layered, but maybe the coders will take care of a lot of it.

It's common practice to design in PSD and then have a coder slice it to XHTML/CSS or code to your CMS... but each firm may handle it differently.

Back