What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create a wallpaper graphic with transparent background

rtcary

I have a text graphic in a layer and I want to make the layer into is own image with a transparent background. This waht I have tried:

Select and copy the text layer.
Create a new Clipboard type image with a transparent background
Paste the text onto it

So far, so good, however when I flatten the layers, the background goes to white. Not good.

What step have I missed?

Many thanks...
\rtc

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
however when I flatten the layers, the background goes to white. Not good.
What happens when you make a stamp visible copy?

Select the uppermost layer.
Hold down the Shift + Opt/Alt + Com/Cntrl + then hit E

rtcary

That creates another layer, however I'm not sure what the next step should be.

\rtc

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The stamp visible layer (if done correctly) is a merged copy of all the layers below it. Did the background turn white?

If not, just use that layer in the same manner in which you planned on using the "flattened" layers.

rtcary

Sorry, I looked up a stamp layer *after* doing it and replying. The text layer is on an image, so the text and image were merged together. Not good.

rtcary

Solved the problem: when I drop the text layer on the transparent background and then want to save it, if I save it without flattening and use the As Copy option, all works fine. I'm not sure exactly what the as copy option does versus flattening first.

\rtc

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Solved the problem: when I drop the text layer on the transparent background and then want to save it, if I save it without flattening and use the As Copy option, all works fine.
Great!

I'm not sure exactly what the as copy option does versus flattening first.
None..........it was just another option that might have solved your issue.