What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create dissolve effect

mrobinson

Hi there, I stumbled across this forum and so far have gathered a wealth of knowledge.

However I stuck trying to create this desired effect:

Basically I'm after creating a series of spot/dots that gradually get smaller the further away from the center in a dissolving effect. Ideally stemming from a radial pattern if this makes sense?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Yeah thats exactly what I was after :perfect: is is still possible to apply a color overlay and apply gradient effect on that image?

something like this? the other one is 'messin' with gaussians pattern

- Set to fore-/background color to black and white by pressing the letter D (you can also experiment with dark to light gray)
- Select the gradient tool
- Select in the option bar Radial Gradient
- Select in the menu filter/pixelate/color halftone
- Set all 4 channels to the same value
- Set radius (experiment)
- Click OK

Attached is an example to show you how the gradient and color halftone filter relate.

mrobinson said:
Is is still possible to apply a color overlay and apply gradient effect on that image?

Yes, just add a new layer on top of the color halftone layer, fill it with the preferred gradient and then select the proper layer's blending mode in the layers palette by clicking inside the blending mode box (second screenshot, tiny) and using the cursor up/down keys.

Thanks for that, RE: "Is is still possible to apply a color overlay and apply gradient effect on that image?" probably didn't make myself clear but I'm looking to have the dots appear in a solid colour. I tried having a go as per the image below by using a color gradient and that applying the filter but wish not to have the halo effect on the dots but rather a solid color fading outwards.

Thanks again for your help its much appreciated!

mrobinson said:
but wish not to have the halo effect on the dots but rather a solid color fading outwards.

Is that a way of saying that you only want the dots to have the color and not the background? In that case use a blending mode like screen.

If you want more flexibility and not rely on blending modes (since some of them require a specific background, like pure white in our example), then use a gradient layer style instead and add a B&W gradient to its mask with color halftone applied.

That's the beautify of Photoshop, dozens of ways to do things, some more flexible than others. 8}

Back