What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to create lightning?

Voiceless

Could anyone let me know how to make convincing lightning?
I use PS cs5, in case you wanted to know :)
Thanks guys

Hello and welcome to the forum.

There are many ways to render lightning in Photoshop, can you post a specific example of the effect you are trying to achieve?

Well, i made this one but i was really just looking for multiple ways on how to make lightning?
Maybe just post your fav ways? :D
thx

There's really a lot of ways to do it. Are you trying to cast light on an object/person.... trying to put some lighting effects in the background..... trying to light a whole scene....? It's hard to help unless you are a bit more specific.

You can see a few different ways I did some lighting here for my Platinum Text effect:
fxTDc.jpg

There is a curves adjustment layer on the background that darkens it, and a feathered mask in the center that lightens the area behind the text.... that's a great way to do lighting.

Then there are the "rays" or "beams" of light coming form the top and bottom... those are each a different layer of masked white pixels.....

Very easy to do but I don't know if that's what you are looking for or not.

200fbes.jpg

Obviously i fail at this site D:
Um, here's the link to it on tiny pic :3
That might be better.
Just something along those lines, i guess?
Like i said, I'm not looking for anything specific. Just different ways to make different types of lightning. (lightNing :3)
Thanks for your patience guys, i know i must be being a lil difficult since i'm not asking anything in particular

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't post links but you are welcome to embed images... I fixed your post for you with the image embedded.

Hahaha, oops. My bad!

I was reading your post, like hmm, "Yutosi just typed away the whole time thinking lighting" LOL!!

I actually did that one time and did this huge pictorial spread, it was like 4 paragraphs long, sucked when 3 days later i checked that thread and realized i did a pictorial on the wrong thing LOL!!

Back