What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to crop a photo within the layer stack

Anjikun

I am learning Photoshop and I am building a layered document for a promo. I imported a photo into the file that I realized included a border around the edge that I need to get rid of. I know it must be possible to get rid of it directly in my layered document in Photoshop (rather than going back to the original and working on it before bringing it in). I thought I should be able to select the border with the rectangular marquee tool + inverse and just delete, but when I inverse the selection includes all the way out to the background border, so I guess the tool is affecting the entire layer stack. From experience I know that cropping will do the same. I keep looking for a box on the tool menu bar not to sample all layers but it's not there. I did a bunch of searches online but can't find a direct answer to my question. Could someone help me understand if it's possible to crop a photo within a layer stack, and if so, how?

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I thought I should be able to select the border with the rectangular marquee tool + inverse and just delete, but when I inverse the selection includes all the way out to the background border, so I guess the tool is affecting the entire layer stack.
No.......the tool used as you have described, should only affect the selected layer. Make sure that you have the correct layer selected in the layers panel before hitting delete.

If this does not solve the problem, please post screen shots or the actual PSD file.

Back