What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to do an Effect?

I have no solution right away but it looks as if the twirl filter could come in handy...hmm maybe some copied layers, blurred to get the glow effect...

Maybe you need to create the swirls with the pen since they are supposed to show the movement of the sword...hmm \:]

I'll try to make something tomorrow, if no tutorials have been posted that is.

/Moltas

SilvrWolf said:
I would really like to know how this is done.
It's not done in Photoshop SilvrWolf, it's a programmed effect in DirectX.
What you're looking at are screenshots of a computer game.

JoeD thanks for the reply. Ive played EQ for 2 years now I can tell you its not in the game. It may not be done by PS but its definately not in game effects. The effect son the swords at the top of the page ar ein game, the final version of the image has something totaly different. Thanks for help though I appreciate any efort. :)

It looks like you could do this with some (very careful) use of the Liquify filter. That will let you push the pixels around in nice sweeping arcs, and you can add some twirling in there too.
Unfortunately, it's not a "click a button and presto" kind of filter. You'll have to experiment a lot with brush size, strength, etc.
And then perhaps add some Color Overlay/Glow layer effects on top of that.
Without trying it I would think you would start with making a new layer with a copy of the 2 swords. Then maybe super saturate them and push the highlights on them big time to get a lot of contrast before using the Liquify filter.
Anyway, with all those tools and lots of patience you should be able to get there...
Good luck!! :}

Well, after different ideas, fiddling around with the pen tool, twirl and blending modes I feel pretty sure that
a) it's an effect created with some sort of programming
b) It's done by hand and not by a plugin

This effect is just like everything else. You need to know what you want to do and you need to know your PS. In general plugins s**k.

If you want to make these swirls I think that you will need a lot of practice until you get the grip of it. If you find any useful plugins or techniques please do post 'em.

/Moltas

Plugins are a tool, like anything else.
If you don't know how to use a hammer properly, you'd think "hammers suck." I get the same thing all the time regarding plugins.

The trick is learning to use the tool, not expecting it to do all the work for you. Companies like Corel and Andromeda could never sell plugins at the sometimes very high cost ($74 for just the cutline filter. One filter, that basically does only one thing...) if there were not a need and a use for them.

Those who proclaim so loudly that filters and plugins suck simply do not know how to use the tools properly. There are way too many professionals, both production and fine art wise, who use plugins and filters everyday, in almost everything they do. You just can't tell it by looking at their work, because it is part of the process, not a result in and of itself...

This effect can be done with the Liquify filter's twirl, combined with Polar coordinates, and a few layers with different blending modes and layer styles, some blurred, some duplicated.

This is 6 layers, less than 5 minutes, at a very poor 72ppi resolution. At 300ppi, with just slightly more time, you could very easily create this effect. Blending modes and some judicious erasing of select layers is the key. The Liquify twirl and polar coordinates make it pretty easy without using a 3D app, but patience and skill are still needed, as they are in any good effect.

When it comes to plugins I agree with you MsOz but...Often you read questions like "I want to do a seascape (or whatever), is there a plugin?". It's like tutorials, you need to know what you want and how to do it. I feel as if most users want a magic button.

Of course there are plugins that can speed up production but there are few questions about that.

/Moltas

Thank you all for the help and tips. i think after playing with layers for a few days its a mixture of the Twirl filter, Liquify, multiple layers using linerar dodge/color and judicious use of brush strokes with soft edges. Above all that it seems based on talent, time and perseverence.

I agree MsOz. I am having very good luck with the twirl effect but the neon glow type color is ellusive.

I agree with the polar coordinates and liquify - twirl assessment for the shapes. Some judicious masking is in play as well.

The neon effect appears to be one of third party glass filters (alien skin?) run on a copy of the lower layer and set to possibly color dodge. If you do not have this filter try using layer effects - bevel. I don't have time to play with this tonight but I'll do a bit of experimenting tomorrow. By the way, the swords appear to be done using the "energy beam" effect. A google search should get you the tutorial.

Regards.

Back