What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to fix visible pixel colors from image?

feritcik

Hi. I found a pretty old picture today. However, I think the picture was taken from a screen. For this reason, the pixel colors appear on the screen (predominantly red and green). I wonder if there is a way to fix this in photoshop and fill those pixels? I'll put an example below. I can upload the full image if you want, but there is a human in the image, so only uploading a cropped part of it right now.
1674243479270.png

thebestcpu

Guru
Hi @feritcik

There are a couple approaches that help some.
First is using an FFT plugin in Photoshop with the following results:

repeated-pattern-using-FFT-filter.png

One can also use the Box Blur Filter (I set mine at a value of 9) and then blended it with the FFT result:

repeated-pattern-box-blur.png

Hope these two possible approaches is helpful
John Wheeler

feritcik

Hi @feritcik

There are a couple approaches that help some.
First is using an FFT plugin in Photoshop with the following results:

View attachment 135027

One can also use the Box Blur Filter (I set mine at a value of 9) and then blended it with the FFT result:

View attachment 135028

Hope these two possible approaches is helpful
John Wheeler

Thank you! I use FFT plugin and it's works and results are really fine. But I was expecting a better quality picture as a result, but now I have a pretty blurry picture. Anyway, it would be more appropriate for me to open a new topic for this. Thanks again for your help.

thebestcpu

Guru
You're welcome @feritcik
There are two factors that are going against you.
1) Each of the original dots is pretty much the equivalent of a pixel so the resolution of the image at that scale is quite low and detail information has been lost and is not recoverable.
2) You may not know how sharp the original was to being with

The techniques shown look so good (relatively) is that the human eye is best at seeing edges and they are getting in the way of seeing the underlying image. With the blur and/or FFT, those edges are gone yet the remaining representation will not have higher resoluition

Here is some good news though.

There are some post processing techniques that can fool the eye into seeing a sharper image. Some of that is by adding contrast or local contrast (clarity) and another is to use a AI program/plugin such as Topaz Photo AI or Topaz Gigapixel. For some images they can produce really great improvements yet I have seen real bad results as well. Its a bit hit or miss and really depends on the starting image.

You an always post again as you already indicated to start more discussion which could include the whole image and see how forum members can help.

Here is a newspaper print of my Great Grandmother from ~1940s or so that uses varying dot sizes to represent levels of gray. FFT does not work on that type of iamge yet shown in the animation is the result only using the box blur approach. Not great yet better than just the newspaper print.'

Hope this is helpful
John Wheeler

PhotoshopGurus-Newspaper.gif