What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to Identify Linked vs Non-Linked Embedded Smart Objects

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebestcpu

Guru
Thanks. I had not found a way either to tell the difference other than good Layer Labeling and/or coloring as they are created. Was just hoping there was another way that PS supported. I had a vague memory that there was a way yet must have been wishful thinking on my part.
Thanks again IamSam
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
FOLLOW UP on SO (Smart Object) QUESTION:

1) SO Linked to Creative Cloud Library Object
2) SO Linked to Local File Object
3) SO Embedded in Layer Stack

SOs created by #1 and #2 have their own unique SO symbol in the Layer Thumbnail. You can create duplicate Layers of these SOs and those new Layers will also be linked back to the original files. Updates to the linked files will be reflected in the duplicate SO Layers.

SOs created by #3 can be done by a variety of methods two of which are:
- File > Place Embedded
- Select a Layer or multiple Layers and use the Layers > Convert to Smart Object

Layer copies of SOs created by approach #3 can be done two different ways and have different characteristics

3a) Copies made by Layer > Duplicate Layer creates a new instance of the first Layer. If changes are made to either of those SOs in their own Layer, then all changes will show up in all instances of that SO

3b) A new independent copy of the SO can be created vis Layer > Smart Objects > New Smart Object via Copy. In this case, instead of another instance of the same SO, this command creates a new and separate SO. If this new SO is opened and modified, the changes only affect that new SO and the original SO remains unchanged.

Turns out that SOs created by either #3a or #3b methods both have thumbnail symbols that are identical. So my original question was how do I tell them apart.

The initial conclusion was to modify the Layer Labels as they are created to keep them straight. A good practice yet only works if one keeps on top of that practice.

I did find another way to tell them apart though indirect. If one double clicks on the SO, it opens up in its own PS document. The file opened is a PSB file.

All SOs that are a copy of the same instance (method 3A) will have the same PSB file name!

All SO, that are a new separate copy (method 3B) will have a different file number (an incremented number appended).

Not sure how useful that is yet glad there is a way to differentiate without depending on manual labeling or modifying a SO and see which ones changed together.

FYI
John Wheeler

thebestcpu

Guru
I noticed that in virtually all cases, the Property Panel properly shows the linked file name path or the PSB file name when the Smart Object is opened. The only exception is when the Smart Object is created as a new separate copy. I sitll displays the same property name as the originating Smart Object. I figure that is a bug in displaying the wrong information so provided it to Photoshops feedback site as a bug. Pretty minor bugs yet I have had a number of bugs I have reported eventually fixed so thought it would be worth the effort to flag them:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/phot...isplaying-proper-psb-name-in-properties-panel
That's it for this thread unless I hear a response from Adobe (not holding my breath :) )
John Wheeler

Last edited:

IamSam

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great. I have sent an email to Julianne Cost on the matter. Waiting to hear back.

thebestcpu

Guru
Thanks IamSam. Talk about a Photoshop Superguru at Adobe, Julieanne Kost is it. Love her blogs and video tutorials.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.