What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make clothing creases show through design?

tricott

Hello all,

Not sure if this is a newbie question, because I do have some experience, but thought I'd post it here anyways.

I have a design for a sweater, but I want the folds/creases/wrinkles in the actual fabric to show through, so that it looks like an actual photograph of the sweater.

Like this:
http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/sexy-sweaters-14.jpg

A friend of mine who's slightly more experienced in photoshop said I should try filter>distort>displace, however that didn't do anything.

help?

-tristan

Displacement maps are a good way to transfer the folds of a fabric to the design. You may have to experiment with the settings as the defaults don't always work. When you make the displace map psd, be sure to flatten it first.

Changing the blend mode might work, but that will require color alterations or duplicating layers. This example uses a design set to soft light to show the folds, etc., and duplicated another couple times. But as you can see, it still looks like it is just sitting there. That is why a displacement map helps.

tshirt.jpg

Here is with the map. I've only used two layers of the design instead of 3 as above just so you could see it better. BTW, I used 15 horizontal and 20 vertical on the settings for the displacement.

tshirt_displaced.jpg

Last edited:
Displacement maps works best for this kinda work.. unless you want to spend the whole day creating artificial shadows using brush and creating ups and downs using liquify tool..

I'd suggest to have more practice with displacement tool and you should achieve the intended result in no time.

Displacement Maps is definitely the way forward with this as C and Clareby have said. Saying that, sometimes you may need to manually add creases.

I always desaturate the crease source layer, adjust the levels to make it really contrasty, I find this gives better results. Save this as map.psd. Ctrl+Z to go back to untouched image. Import the image you want to lay on top, then go to: Filters>Distort>Displacement
Set Horizontal and Vertical Scales low to start with and adjust as needed, you will then need to find your map.psd file. Messing with the Horizontal and Vertical Scales will either make the displacement harder or softer. Adjusting the opacity of the image layer will blend it better and bring out the creases more.

Quick video on using Displacement Maps. Dirty and Nasty but hopefully you get the idea.

Please find attached a couple of custom crease brushes I made a short time ago for something I was working on.
View attachment creases.abr

Back