What's new
Photoshop Gurus Forum

Welcome to Photoshop Gurus forum. Register a free account today to become a member! It's completely free. Once signed in, you'll enjoy an ad-free experience and be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to make Corner shapes

SharmaN

Hi Gurus I am trying to achieve some corner shapes similar to the attached images I come across. I tried to achieve it using shape properties option in Photoshop. But I could not achieve the one am looking for. I have a strong feeling the original ones made of a different application called sketch? Even I tried the tool which I previously using before I started to learn photoshop. Can you guide me, please? i attached all the images for your reference so that you can guide me where I went wrong. Thank you !!

These are the original ones :

PSG_1.jpg

PSG_2.jpg

This is the properties panel of my ps:

PSG_3.jpg

PSG_4.jpg

Attachments

• Test_PSG1.psd
    332.1 KB · Views: 2
Two ways....

Layer mask
Note: Any layer style effects will apply and you can still edit the radii of the corners.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 9.05.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 9.05.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 9.18.14 AM.png

My preferred method.
Use the Pen or Direct Selection Tools to add two new anchor points to the shapes path and delete the corner anchor point or, add one new anchor point and move the corner anchor point.
Note: All Shape Tools create paths that can be edited.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 9.06.50 AM.png

Ok, awesome I tried your preferred method. I attached the PSD of it. I have a question for you. Somehow am not getting the radius properties. I mean it's not showing up when I tried to give some radius curves to the corners. Secondly how to do the same using the mask method? I really find masking in photoshop is the most complicated especially people like me who migrated from other tools

PSG_5.jpg

Attachments

• Test_PSG2.psd
    411.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Somehow am not getting the radius properties. I mean it's not showing up when I tried to give some radius curves to the shape
Because you used the Rectangle Tool instead of the Rounded Rectangle Tool.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 9.59.03 AM.png

Food for thought..........
Using the Pen Tool , if you want to constrain a path to a straight line, hold/move the cursor to a 90º angle form the last anchor point and hold the shift key. The same for a 45º angle, hold the cursor at an approximate 45º angle to the last anchor point and hold the shift key.

Secondly how to do the same using the mask method? I really find masking in photoshop is the most complicated especially people like me who migrated from other tools
Easy.

Just add a layer mask to the shape layer.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 10.15.33 AM.png

You can then use the Pen Tool or the Polygonal Lasso Tool to edit the layer mask. Note the layer mask is selected.....brackets around the mask.

Use the Pen Tool to create a path of your liking...
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 10.14.00 AM.png
Right click and choose "make a selection"..
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 10.14.15 AM.png

Fill the selection with black.
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 10.14.28 AM.png
Cmd/Cntrl + D to deselct.

Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 10.19.04 AM.png

Back